• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free ISPs are Dead

lpok

Free ISP are dying. If follow free isps, you will know that almost all the companies are now either bankrupt or not offering the services anymore.

The first to go was freewwweb, then worldspy went bankrupt soon after. Then, Freei.net went bankrupt and turn all of its members to netzero. Recently 1stup.com, providing free access to major sites like yahoo, excite, and altavista, discontinued its services. Now I just read that netzero is charging $9.95 a month to users that use their stupid dial up for more that 40 hours a month. What a joke, some paid ISPs cost less and have no banners! Just thought you people like to know. :)

There dead becasue online advertising is dying. Which is what's got my scared considering I'm just getting into the market :(.

Free ISPS have existed almost as long as the internet itself. Even before there were huge national ISPs like juno, altavista, netzero, free, blue light, etc. there were freenets in many cities. I doubt all free isp's will die. The number may decrease, but I'd be surprised if all free isp's died.

They have a huge chance of dying. The only large free internet provider right now is Juno, and they have a really sucky servce. Netzero is starting to charge customers $10 if they go on for longer than 40hrs/month. Juno is our only hope, and they provide one of the worst services... The free world is coming to an end.

I tried Juno's free service once. It tooks forever to connect, then I had to connect to the email before I could get online, and that took forever. Considering I wasn't using their email, it wasn't worth it

Originally posted by Christy
I tried Juno's free service once. It tooks forever to connect, then I had to connect to the email before I could get online, and that took forever. Considering I wasn't using their email, it wasn't worth it

You actually connected.....wow. I can even connect to juno very late at night or early in the mourning. :) Oh well, just want to say that free isp are no longer worth my time. I went to a cheap isp, 6 bucks a month and the services are great compare to free isps.

Too bad online ads are dying, cause if I was join the online market two years earlier, I would be filthy rich (well, probably not filthy rich, but a lot more that Im making right now) :)

Good realiable ISP

I've found that bluelight.com is still alive and the same service like freelane and altavista. They recently bought out spinway and own all net-worth of what the company is.

That's what I am using, but be sure to check the access number before you sign up. http://www.bluelight.com/isp.html

fashionwayne

Bluelight.com may switch to pay or become restricted in the middle of January... K-mart just kept them going for the Christmas shopping season...

I predict Free ISPs will die out by March of 2001. Reall the only ones left are Juno, NetZero, and BlueLight.

Bluelight(www.bluelight.com) has resricted 25 hours per user now.

Netzero(www.netzero.com)(didn't know till this post) ... are going to charge 10 dollors a month. Which doesn't take off the banners I beleive. Your better off paying for a ISP.

With Juno(www.juno.com), Depends your area and time. Some areas JUST suck. But in time Juno will also die out. At least their Free Internet Access.

Only place I do see having internet access for a long time will be New York. They have FreeNets up the wootang!

I will most likely be going with a Pay ISP very Soon or just join Up FreeDSL(www.winfire.com). Simple as that :D

While this might be the case in the US, where I live (Belgium) the free isp business is booming. Somewhat every major company is offering free internet access these days, ranging from banks to gas stations. All to get some customers from the internet hype.

Originally posted by KNK

Netzero(www.netzero.com)(didn't know till this post) ... are going to charge 10 dollors a month. Which doesn't take off the banners I beleive.

LOL, so much for their self-righteous "defenders of the free world" ad campaign. Maybe they can start a new one - "defenders of corporate pigf****** everywhere!"

Originally posted by Rodie
LOL, so much for their self-righteous "defenders of the free world" ad campaign. Maybe they can start a new one - "defenders of corporate pigf****** everywhere!" [/B]

If you see the new netzero tv ads, you will see that at the end of the commercial, for about a whole 2 seconds, they write, in very fine print, of the 40 hour limit. LOL.

Find a friend that has a brodband connection and an extra phone line and tell them to set up a ppp account on their comp. They may be violating their ISP's terms, but thats their problem :Þ

Back