• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free bulletin boards scripts

Ikonboard is a very very good board. I use it on many of my sites. The interface is goingto be changing very soon with the upcoming version 3. For PHP I would have to say phpBB, even though it needs work. CGI, would be again Ikonboard.

I heard phpbb is quite fast and reliable. I haven't tried it out yet, but their interface looks pretty good.

Ikonboard is pretty good, but I don't really like their interface. Also, it lacks some important features.

I myself use YaBB and have not experience any probs

Originally posted by lpok
I heard phpbb is quite fast and reliable. I haven't tried it out yet, but their interface looks pretty good.

Ikonboard is pretty good, but I don't really like their interface. Also, it lacks some important features.

I myself use YaBB and have not experience any probs

I don't like YaBB much. From what I know it has security problems ... or did ... and they didn't do much about it till most of the people left. I maybe wrong ...but i do know that someone hacked the MAIN site of YaBB.

Ikonboard has a nice Interface and it can be easily changed. I have changed 3 of my boards on how they look and how they work. One is a regular Forum ... the other is a Audio DataBase ... and the last one is a event subbmission(still being worked on.

The new version of IkonBoard is having a new way of working. Is soooo fast. It has a DataBase module there isn't many CGI files, their mostly modules and such. The look is very different from the one that is out right now. From what I know the new version(IB v3.0) should come out sometimes this month.

Out of all them i use Tforum. I've had no problems with it and i'm pleased typus has spent so much time and effort on it.

KNK, YaBBs main site hasn't been hacked. The host went down for a couple of days. Appart from that we had security issues ikonboard had them too. While you thought we didn't care a single bit we all were working hard to resolve those problem, please get informed a bit more because saying such things you don't know about.

Thank you

Originally posted by Zef Hemel
KNK, YaBBs main site hasn't been hacked. The host went down for a couple of days. Appart from that we had security issues ikonboard had them too. While you thought we didn't care a single bit we all were working hard to resolve those problem, please get informed a bit more because saying such things you don't know about.

Thank you

Well .. I kinda wrote that half alseep ... I aplogize. I didn't mean the site was recently hacked ... this was awhile ago when Ikonboard was just starting. Where many YaBB boards including the Main site was hacked. I read this on many sites and saw it myself in the Yabb.org annoucements. Am I right? ... I am not banshing your script .. I did download and use it, but it wasn't for me for some odd reason it didn't fit in. Yes, Ikonboard also had many Security problems and most of them are fixed just like the current YaBB. I didn't mean you didn't care one bit ... just when people were worried about the security issues you guys were working on some fix(es) but didn't release it in time which seemed to everyone that I have talked to that the people who worked with YaBB were not fast enough on the problem and seemed not to care as much, which from what I read was later fixed. Again I am sorry for saying such things like that without any detail. I was very tired and it was a long weekend for me. I hope this could have made it a bit more clear for you. :D

No hard feelings ;)

[Edited by KNK on 01-03-2001 at 08:17 PM]

Why I don't Like iKonBoard

The thing isn't as customizable as it should be. The main bitch I have is that you can't change the font size. So even if I add my site template around it, the board looks fuct 'cause it has huge-ass font compared to the size 1 font used for the rest of the site.

Re: Why I don't Like iKonBoard

Originally posted by Nick
The thing isn't as customizable as it should be. The main bitch I have is that you can't change the font size. So even if I add my site template around it, the board looks fuct 'cause it has huge-ass font compared to the size 1 font used for the rest of the site.

You can change the font size ... not in the admincenter ... but you can in the cgi scripts. It means more work but if you need that bad then you can do it. They shoul be changing this in the new version anyway ...

Re: Re: Why I don't Like iKonBoard

Originally posted by KNK
but you can in the cgi scripts.

I know, I've done that before :D, but still, it's a pain in the ass :mad:.

Originally posted by keith
it's easy as hell... just need to know what you're doing.

I know what I'm doing and it is easy, but compared to choosing from a drop list and clicking submit, it's a pain in the ass ;).

yeah, i have to agree. i don't like ikonboard because its NOT easily customizable in many respects and people need to register to post which for me, when visiting boards is a major turnoff.

Originally posted by Carl
yeah, i have to agree. i don't like ikonboard because its NOT easily customizable in many respects and people need to register to post which for me, when visiting boards is a major turnoff.

Unregister users can't post.... Another complaint of mine. Oh well, hopefully the next installment ikonboard fixes all of these problems.

Back