• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated Server...

xzx

b&
b&
I am looking for a dedicated server, for around $100-150 US monthly.

Musts:

60gb at least
500 gb transfer

Any suggestions?

Check webhostingtalk.com special offer's forum theres allways hosts over there offering similar deals but you may end up on single homed cogent bandwidth Not that its bad just not very good.

Places of intest

Rackshack.net 400 gigs 99$ Gives you cpanel and other stuff if you don't know much about servers there probily better than FDC Multihomed network

fdcservers.net "unmetered" for 99$ basicly you could get your 500 gigs pretty easy out of these servers I've seen them push 4mbps easily enough..... 1200GIG/month Cogent only

nocster.net 300 gigs 99$ this is a managed option if you don't know much about servers there the better people to go for... getting the hd may cost you extra/month though... Multihomed network

If your looking for alot of space 60 gigs ? and that sorta transfer I assume its for a download site of some kind then I would sugest FDCservers.net mind you, you have to set everything up yourself i.e apache/sql/php list goes on.

what kind of control panel does fdcservers.net come with? they seem pretty good, except 800mhz, but gotta cut back somewhere. Are the perl/php/etc... already installed? Thanks...

I don't think perl/php/mysql should be that hard to set up yourself. You may find places that will do it for you, but as they are very common, I am sure you can find some decent documentation for setting them up yourself.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
I don't think perl/php/mysql should be that hard to set up yourself. You may find places that will do it for you, but as they are very common, I am sure you can find some decent documentation for setting them up yourself.

cool, do you have a url of where i can find out how easy it is? Thanks...

Originally posted by xzx

cool, do you have a url of where i can find out how easy it is? Thanks...

It's very easy. Get a coffee and download the software (source) you want. Untar them (the source) and read the README, INSTALL and any other file with BIG LETTERS! Do what it says in the file, then configure it and start it.

If you use redhat, you could just use RPM's. Then you just have to configure (if they need to be) and start them.

Now, everyone is talking about the small things. You also need to know about the big things, like securing the box etc. If you don't know how, your box will be rootkited very fast. I had a stock Red Hat 6.2 online for 3 days (just online, not doing anything) and poof. I would have to say you get a semi-managed server or pay a local admin to make sure everything is dandy. Nothing worse then getting hacked, after you did all the work on the server, having the server "restored" then starting all over again because you used the wrong FTP server or never configured it right.

Originally posted by the elf

It's very easy. Get a coffee and download the software (source) you want. Untar them (the source) and read the README, INSTALL and any other file with BIG LETTERS! Do what it says in the file, then configure it and start it.

If you use redhat, you could just use RPM's. Then you just have to configure (if they need to be) and start them.

Now, everyone is talking about the small things. You also need to know about the big things, like securing the box etc. If you don't know how, your box will be rootkited very fast. I had a stock Red Hat 6.2 online for 3 days (just online, not doing anything) and poof. I would have to say you get a semi-managed server or pay a local admin to make sure everything is dandy. Nothing worse then getting hacked, after you did all the work on the server, having the server "restored" then starting all over again because you used the wrong FTP server or never configured it right.

Do i have to do that for the fdc servers? how bout the rackshack servers?

Originally posted by xzx

Do i have to do that for the fdc servers? how bout the rackshack servers?

I donno, I don't use dedicated servers nor any of the companies you listed. But, if it's a unmanaged service, you will have to do it all.

I would think you would, since it's *your* server. Most companies that offer $99 deals just give you the server, give you the connection and say "here, have fun" & just install the barebones (the OS) & get it on the net. From there, it's all yours.

Originally posted by 9cy

fdcservers.net "unmetered" for 99$ basicly you could get your 500 gigs pretty easy out of these servers I've seen them push 4mbps easily enough..... 1200GIG/month Cogent only

1200 gb? Isn't it unmetered? so that means i can use as much as i want without any extra fees..

Is it a fast connection? I don't want to pay $99 setup and be disappointed that it is slow as heck...

How bout 800 mhz, is that good for a server or no?

Thanks...

Originally posted by 9cy

nocster.net 300 gigs 99$ this is a managed option if you don't know much about servers there the better people to go for... getting the hd may cost you extra/month though... Multihomed network

They have a very un-friendly setup fee...

Back