• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Control CSS server side

Sounds good. I was planning on trying to learn some Perl. But all this got me wondering if PHP perhaps is a better place to start for a dumber. I'll go hunting for some introductory stuff and some examples. I like to do a little trial and error before reading the book. Makes it easier to understand.

depends what you want to do.

I learnt perl first and it is a useful language very quick and easy once you get the hang of it. However since I discovered that my server had php I started using that, mainly as sql intergration is so easy :)

I found php easy as it's very similar to Perl in my mind though the books will tell you that they are both based on C which I never really bothered with that much.

I've learnt php from the manual that comes with it. It's fairly basic and not as informative as you'd like but it's the way to learn what it does. I've since read a big thick book on it but it didn't really tell me anything new

I'm a believer in you use the best tool for the job -

I did a bit of JSP (java server pages) too but it's a lot of work for not much reward. OK you end up with industrial strength pages but I'm not doing anything that needs them.

start playing :)

One can hurt oneself playing. I'll try to be brave. Got a soft start anyway. ;)
Sh*t! I just realized that my chamaeleon looks like a green cow. :eek:

Originally posted by meow
Sh*t! I just realized that my chamaeleon looks like a green cow. :eek:

is that what it is :confussed: I should have spotted it it's about the only icon left on my desktop after the last sweep up :)

You can do it with ASP. Just use an if statement combined with either a cookie (if you want it to last), or a session variable (if its ok if it reverts after).

Code:
<%

'Get Current Style from session variable
  'Could be changed to used cookies easily
  dim style
  style = Session("style")

'Set to a default if session variable is not set
  if style = "" then
    style = "styleone"
  end if

'See if user wants to change styles
  'If so, change (or set) the session variable
  dim newstyle

newstyle = Request.Querystring("newstyle")
  if newstyle <> "" then
    Session("style")=newstyle
  end if

%>

<html>
  <head>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<%= style %>.css">
  </head>
</html>

Back