• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

BAN IPs

Originally posted by Hayama-kun
I think cookies would work better-what if it were a network where all the computers are connected to the internet through one machine?

deleting cookies is much easier than changing ip

not ip banning nor cookie checking is a good idea. say you have a forum on your site. if it's a personal site and has not many visitors you will not need to control users post every hour. on the other hand a popular forum must have mods 24/7 online to check posts.

i don't know why forums like phpBB and VBulletin has ip banning. it's useless.

I am not sure there is a definite answer to that. Both cookies and IP banning have their own advantages and defaults. But anyway, you can override them. A good option (?) could be to use both of them, and to monitor closely your members. Forbidding them to re-use the same e-mail address might also be useful, if it is possible in your case.

Ok, you can override all of that, but who will be changing at the same time the IP, deleting all cookies plus the e-mail address? That would be a lot of effort for not much.

If you have the forum, why not just use the database? Look at the forum password encryption technique, and require for users to log in to use the form using the forum username and password.

Originally posted by Wismie
I am not sure there is a definite answer to that. Both cookies and IP banning have their own advantages and defaults. But anyway, you can override them. A good option (?) could be to use both of them, and to monitor closely your members. Forbidding them to re-use the same e-mail address might also be useful, if it is possible in your case.

Ok, you can override all of that, but who will be changing at the same time the IP, deleting all cookies plus the e-mail address? That would be a lot of effort for not much.

i have 4 email accounts at yahoo, hotmail and excite.

i delete cookies and internet temporary files everyday(why? i can't tell you :D )

i have 5 hours dialup internet cards and my ip changes every 5 hours

As I mentioned earlier, there is no foolproof method. But the more you combine them, as the better protection you'll get. Of course there will always be some "trepassers" anyway, but obviously, less of them.

Back