• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Automated user account creator

NC_TOM

I can get u banned.
Hi,

Do you know of an automated user account creator that works on Linux and doesn't require MySQL? It has to be free and preferably easy to install. I will just be using it temporarily until the MySQL database is set up, so it doesn't need to be great as long as it gets the job done. I need to be able to give out subdomains or domain hosting as well from this. That's the only thing that keeps me from using WebHome Lite..

For some reason AllManage was discontinued. Did it support this, and if it did does anyone have an old copy of it?

Thanks,
Tom
NetCabins.com

well ...

Most of these scripts (Webhome and Allmanage) merely allows a web-based login to edit files ... they don't really create a linux user (ie. ftp) login for them.

However, if you still want Allmanage, I can send it to you. I doubt it supports subdomains and domains ... for that, the script needs to meddle with your Apache server (or whatever server you're using) configuration files. But then, you can always edit the script to fit your needs ;) or combine the script with another script that does this. For example:
http://www.prongs.org/virtfs/
http://homac.sourceforge.net/

I also have a short script called "vhost" sitting in my drive so if you want it, give me a shout.

Anyway, I may have misunderstood your question or lost track of what you were asking.

melz.

Ok, here's the thing...its easy to set up accounts automatically in *nix, with one exception - setting passwords. I'll talk about this in a sec. Do you know perl? Unless your running PHP on CGI mode, you are pretty much forced to use PERL because you will need command line functions. You can also use bash if you know that (unix commands). I use PERL because of the password prob. The prob is that the system will wait for the user to type in a password before it continues. There is no command line option that will do this for you.

There is a PERL module, however, called EXPECT that will wait for command line messages and then react to them. You can get that module at perl.com.

Note: the above is only if you want to give the people *nix accounts...i.e. ftp, and delegated server space. I personally think this is the better way to go.

If you just want to give them server space and a webupload interface, then I recommend you get the older version of AllManage (which doesn't use mySQL, which is what you wanted right?). Then when your ready, he made an upgrade script that will convert the database to mySQL and use the new version of AllManage...pretty cool huh?

[Edited by cds on 11-03-2000 at 01:40 PM]

Originally posted by NC_TOM

For some reason AllManage was discontinued. Did it support this, and if it did does anyone have an old copy of it?

Oh I didn't read this. I probable have the old (and new version somewhere) if you are still interested. Again, I would go with the PERL scripts.

With webhome, or AllManage, its easy to add a little to scripts to setup the domain or subdomain hosting. Just have it append to your httpd.conf file with a virtual tag and your done...

Email me (go to my profiles page) if you are interested in how to do this...

Thanks for all your help

Hi,

Thanks for all your help. I do need to give out FTP access to users. This EXPECT module is a totally new thing to me. Could you please explain how I can make this work to my benefit, and maybe even help me out a little in setting it up?

Thanks a lot,
Tom

Yeah, sure no problem...it took a me a little time to figure out how it all works too... :)

I have some ready made PERL scripts that I made for my site awhile back. They use mySQL, but that is easy to get rid off. I can give you these scripts tonight..im off to see the premeire of Charlie's Angels right now... :)

The expect module has to be compiled in your OS. What OS are you using (redhat, Suse, mandrake, etc)?

It should be really easy to compile, depending on your OS. I personally recommend RedHat for webservers (with Apache installed from scratch, not RPMed!)

If you are using RedHat, Mandrake, OpenLinux, or a derivitive of the above, you can find the RPMed version here:

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/powertools/CPAN/CPAN_rev.1/i386/perl-Expect.pm-1.07-1.i386.rpm

Once downloaded, just do rpm -ivh <that_big_filename> and expect 'should' then be installed...

Back