• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Another Language Debate, AmE or BrE

Okay Benny boy, how do you spell aluminium and laboratory?

And I don't usually spell geez. :confused2

Originally posted by Ben

Geez, it must be like another planet down under....:p
Her pronunciation of laboratory, is common British, yet not even a dictionary can justify her butchering of aluminum.

Speaking of 'geez', how do you spell it [talkin to everyone, not just Jan]
Jeez.
Geez is a Semitic language.

Originally posted by Jan
Okay Benny boy, how do you spell aluminium and laboratory?

And I don't usually spell geez. :confused2

aluminum and laboratory. I should get that nickname trademarked....too many people call me that....

Originally posted by Bruce
Her pronunciation of laboratory, is common British, yet not even a dictionary can justify her butchering of aluminum.
okay how do you justify your butchering?

lab-rah-tore-ee -laboratory....where is the o in your pronunciation?
uh-loo-min-um -aluminium....you butcher the second i
:eek:

Originally posted by Jan

okay how do you justify your butchering?

lab-rah-tore-ee -laboratory....where is the o in your pronunciation?
uh-loo-min-um -aluminium....you butcher the second i
:eek:
in Laboratory, we actually say the 'o' but it's so indistinct that you cant hear it most of the time.

Like in the french phrase (please excuse my horrible french spelling)
toute de suite
It sounds like "toode sweet". the second T is almost totally left out.

And for alumin(i)um, the american spelling is aluminum. No second I. ;)
http://dictionary.com/search?q=aluminum

Originally posted by Ben

Yankies are the dudes up north. Like Bruce.
Yes, to us that would be correct, but to her, and Brits as well, Yanks refer to any Americans. Strange how they change the meaning of every term isn't it?

Also, what the hell is up with "cheque"? Does it even sound like that? It sounds like "check" so it should be spelled like check.

Originally posted by Bruce
Yes, to us that would be correct, but to her, and Brits as well, Yanks refer to any Americans. Strange how they change the meaning of every term isn't it?

Also, what the hell is up with "cheque"? Does it even sound like that? It sounds like "check" so it should be spelled like check.

Looks like a combined form of check and queue. Maybe they have problems waiting in line to cash a check :p

Originally posted by Jan
Sure cheque sounds like check, and Czech also :p
Oh, really?

I was under the impression you guys pronounced it "check-you" or something...

Originally posted by The Red Guy
Trenz is not the only S'porean...Anyway he's too young to know Singlish. TT's an art also you know ar?
what is tt ahh? I dunno leh...

Tell me lah.

:D

Quote from Bruce:

Her-----ment [a lot to me] lol. Her @--- meant a lot to me HAHA. ROTFLMAO

And Ben, lab-rah-tore-ee sounds totally alien to me. I pronounce it as lab-bor-rer-try.

uh-loo-min-um, I pronounce it as ai-low-mi-nium

Quote from Bruce:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jan
Sure cheque sounds like check, and Czech also
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, really?

I was under the impression you guys pronounced it "check-you" or something...

nah cheque is check here, and I dont know how to pronounce Czech.:eek:

Looks like a combined form of check and queue. Maybe they have problems waiting in line to cash a check <--Singapore's banks are very organised.

Everyone should use "cheque" just so that it's different from "check." :D
Why should two words be spelled the same way but have different meanings? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by GRiN
Everyone should use "cheque" just so that it's different from "check." :D
Why should two words be spelled the same way but have different meanings? :rolleyes:
No, everyone should use "check". That way there would be less words, and since the human race would be one word dumber then someone like Archbob could take over the planet. I don't know how that's good, though....:cool:

Originally posted by Ben

No, everyone should use "check". That way there would be less words, and since the human race would be one word dumber then someone like Archbob could take over the planet. I don't know how that's good, though....:cool:
so the british are smarter than the americans :)

Back