• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AdSense Tax Question

Secret

I'm a bit confused with Google AdSense tax system.

I'm not from U.S. Lets say I have a vps/reseller and it's hosted in a DC in U.S.. And one of my forum moderator is from U.S. Which category am I in?
  • U.S. Business: The payee is based in, and pays taxes in, the U.S.
  • Non U.S. Business (No U.S. Activities): The payee's operations related to participation in AdSense are based entirely outside of the U.S., and payee does not pay taxes in the U.S.
  • Non U.S. Business with U.S. Activities: The payee is based outside of the U.S., but has equipment or employees in the U.S. that are involved with payee's participation in AdSense.
Thanks.

Even just a reseller/master reseller/vps? I don't own the server.

Thanks.

UPDATE:
I read this:
Do you own equipment in the U.S. related to your participation in AdSense?

This includes owning a hosting service or web server in the U.S. If you simply use or rent from a U.S. hosting company, you can choose "No" to this question.

Of course, I will answer NO.

but then, I see this one:
Do you have employees in the U.S. related to your participation in AdSense?

This includes employees involved in setting up, maintaining, marketing, and supporting your site, among other things.

I have a moderator from US, but it's not a paid position. So, is it a yes or a no?

Thanks.

Last edited:
hmm... well then i say it depends.

Id be calling them "volunteers" since you dont pay them.
the free dictionary said:
em·ploy·ee also em·ploy·e (m-ploi, m-, mploi-)
n.
A person who works for another in return for financial or other compensation.

vol·un·teer (vln-tîr)
n.
1. A person who performs or offers to perform a service voluntarily:

The point is that these volunteers live in the US and they contribute to the PPC revenue by building content via postings and they also help manage the community.

but what's the difference between the moderator & normal member? they get the same (except access to moderator's toolbox) And both of them are not paid :D

I know this is very confusing... :) I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Hmm... maybe you should send a support ticket to Google and ask them about it :p Do let us know what's the outcome.

Google Adsense + Forums = Lots of confusing trouble
Bidvertiser + Forums = Money in your Paypal

Ok, done. Here's the reply:
Hello,

Thanks for your email regarding your tax information. We've provided some information below which we hope will address your question. As you know, you can also find instant answers to some of our top questions in the AdSense Help Center at www.google.com/support/adsense. If you still have unresolved questions after looking through this material, please reply to this email and we'll be happy to help you further.

- I'm not located in the U.S., but I'm using a U.S. web host. Is that considered U.S. Activities?

In general, the following situations are NOT considered U.S. Activities:
- Using a third-party U.S. web hosting service to host your web pages (e.g. Blogger)
- Renting web servers that are located in the U.S.
- Having your payment sent to a U.S. Post Office Box or mail forwarding address,

However, the situations listed below ARE considered U.S. activities:
- Owning equipment (such as web servers) located in the United States
- Having employees located in the United States that are associated with the revenue earned through your participation in the AdSense program

The 'Tax information' page in your AdSense account, located under the ‘My Account’ tab, will help to direct you to the appropriate tax forms for your situation. For example, if you are a foreign publisher with no U.S. Activities, you will be asked to agree to a statement to that effect. No tax forms are required in this instance.

- Do I have to submit tax information to Google?

We are required to collect certain information from all participating AdSense publishers for tax purposes. For U.S. publishers, this includes U.S. tax I.D. numbers or Social Security numbers. International publishers need to submit Internal Revenue Service form W-8 and/or Form 8233, or certify that they do not have a US presence.

- Can you provide additional tax advice for my particular situation?

Unfortunately, while we are happy to assist you as much as we can with the information above, we're unable to provide any additional advice regarding your specific tax situation or to indicate which form is applicable to your situation. We suggest walking through the tax wizard on your account's 'Tax information' page, which will guide you to forms that are appropriate to your particular situation. If this doesn't help, please consult your tax advisor or the IRS for tax advice.

Additionally, we also have a 'Google AdSense: Tax Information' page at https://www.google.com/adsense/tax_info , and a Payments Demo at http://www.google.com/adsensedemo4 which you might find useful. If you’re unable to find your answer in our Help Center, please feel free to reply to this email.

Sincerely,

The Google AdSense Team

So, what does it mean? :D

So they basically sent you a cut and paste reply...

Use bidvertiser as hamster suggested :p

That explains why they replied so fast (or maybe it's a bot which detect the keywords :) )

I hate Bidvertiser. It's ads is so irrelevant. No one want to click it :(

yeh, i know lol. Ive found the same thing actually.

Might have to be more strategic on where you put them.

Just say "Non U.S. Business".

You won't have to pay tax to US government, and you won't have to get a USA tax number. And Google doesn't need to know about your staff situation since there is no cash revenue in that part. Trust me, I studied accounting.

Back