• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A Bit of A Newb Question

Patrick

OK, so if I went to get hosted by HD and changed my nameservers from godaddy's to HD's, what would happen to the data in my website? Would my website's data automatically be transfered over... or something? I'm very confused. :p :confused4

So basically what I'm trying to say is would the files in my FTP be affected if I changed hosts?

Thanks. :)

Are you hosted on Godaddy?

Well first of all when changing nameserver it does not mean that you are changing accounts, you are basically pointing the domain somewhere else,
Your data is still accessible but you'll have to do it via the IP of your shared account (I guessed you were on a shared account).

Hope this clears up your confusion.

Hi, basically, "no" is your answer.

What you're doing by swinging namesevers is telling the Internet Servers of the world that, in order to get to your domain name, the data needs to be sent to Hosting Department.

However, with that said, you still need to move your data to Hosting Department.

I'm sure Craig will chime in and help out. But you can pull down your html files (or php, asp, whatever the case may be) via an FTP Program... and then re-upload them to HD's server, via the same FTP program, using the login information you were given when you signed up over there.

Well If you have Cpanel hosting with you current host, then it won't be neeed cause a toatly back up does it for you.

But if i were you, i'll be damn sure to make a second backup manually! thus meaning the DB's and all files...

Hi

If you let us know your old login details & we will get the data moved, this will only work with cPanel servers, or..... just backup your home dir & FTP it to /home & we will do the rest from there. Contact the helpdesk with the details. If you need any help just give us a shout.

Back