• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Understanding Free Web Host Philosophy

Efil

Understanding Free Web Hosting Philosophy
The Missing Manual

The internet is addicting. And so is free web hosting. There is value and pleasure in every addiction, since one wouldn't become addicted to it if there's nothing desirable about it in the first place. And just like any other forms of addiction there are sacrifices and miseries involved in the internet and web hosting addiction too. Similarly, while there are victims of such addictions, there are pushers who profit and earn a living out of it. Now, where do you think you belong? Are you a trafficker, pusher, manufacturer, victim, or are you simply a web hosting addict?

Meet the Hostlord
I could hardly believe that a father would tell his child, "Son, this vast free web space is what you are going to inherit from me. Plow it with account management tools and oversell." My most common prediction is that similar to a father who knows the perils and difficulties farming a wasteland, he would be willing enough to accord that his child should rather pursue an engineering job or office job in the city.

Free web hosting is a wasteland in the internet web hosting industry. No one can expect millions of profit that can be squeezed from it. There could be wild plants growing that bear non-uniformed fruits, enough to fill your little heart with sympathy and desire, but it's a wasteland after all. You need to buy a tractor to cultivate it and you should keep watch every minute for wild animals (phishers and spammers) lurking from all over the corners ready and waiting for an opportunity to coax, steal, or destroy your minimal crop that you have grown with your saved money, sleepless nights, time, effort, sweat, tears and even blood.

Web Host Addiction
So most probably, you started as an individual who learned how to surf the web and finally have decided to create a website of your own. You browsed the internet for servers that can give you a reasonable amount of free space to host your project, then as you learned and discovered more about web hosting eventually you also realized that you can do it your own - start a free web hosting business that (according to your wild vision) could possibly give you mountains of profits when handled wisely.

From there commenced your journey into the wasteland and the dream of making a fortune at stroke. It's very easy. You buy yourself a reseller account for a reasonable price and there you are, a hostlord of your own. This power and luxury to offer resources to others for free makes you feel wanted, noble and exalted. You are a hero with a legacy. Great!

Everybody dream of becoming a hero and in one way or another dream of harvesting a fortune without worrying about the hard work and the nitty-gritty that would make it a possibility. Now you have both, you have the power and you can be rich! You are now a captain of the server you own, you have the command. "Onward, the light brigade! All in the Valley of Death. Rode the six hundred."

Web Hosting Reality
But then, sooner or later you will realize that even though you have the power and the command to create, modify, suspend and terminate an account, something is sure to be missing and something is surely misunderstood. You do not have the army who will obey your command and protect your camp unto the Valley of Death. But you do have an army of users who keep on complaining to you about anything and everything while demanding more of your free resources in exchange for their robotic spam posts. You do not have visitors who should be boosting your google adsense clicks and impressions. But you do have users who are never willing to click your ads just like how they click their own ads that are scattered all over the corners of their websites. And the hoodlums...oh! the hoodlums, they are always there in disguise to try to take advantage of your service for their crimes.

Free web hosting is indeed a great fun and is too much exciting that you will even become addicted to it, keeping you staring at the your PC monitor for a long period of time, refreshing the browser every few seconds to see if there's a new post in the forum, skipping meals, missed assignments and whatnots. But as time goes by when you begin to realize the net worth of it, when you started to feel the burden of its financial, physical and psychological stress, it will be the time when you will begin to ponder what you have missed, where is the money, and why the hell are you so tired and lonely. You will start to raise every sort of questions that have only one answer - it's a wasteland.

There's no fortune in free web hosting unless you succeeded in selling it into a fool. You don't have to argue with me about that. If you believe I am wrong, don't say a single word, just show me the money.

Web Hosting Chain of Reactions
Despite of it, the free web hosting industry will continue to become greeny for the rest of the days until google launch its first free web server bundled in a space shuttle into the outer space. As the old grass of free web hosts wear out and die, new grass of wannabies will try out and learn the reality of the wasteland. The new web host will try to get as many first batch of costumers as desired by offering superfantastic amount of web space and bandwidth. Spammers and abusive users will easily chomp the bait, too many potential wannabies would be amazed, think they can do it too and so will try to beat the offer. The former will realize that the catch are almost unprofitable dummy accounts; fancy dreams will fade away and harsh reality will start to loom. The former dies and the later starts a new challenge. It's a chain of reactions that will not end at least so easily.

It therefore boils down into a single impressive super-supposition; that the free web hosting industry is kept running by two superimposed entities: the free web hosts who have an upright philosophy, and the free web hosts who are simply some sort of web hosting addicts.

Questions, suggestions and criticisms are always welcome. I'm looking forward to a fruitful discussions with you all.

Regards,
Efil Leiv
The Water Seven Community

Last edited:
. But you do have an army of users who keep on complaining to you about anything and everything while demanding more of your free resources in exchange for their robotic spam posts.
The good thing about freehosting is you dont need to take ----, I ban people who abuse me, I really do not care, if you are not nice to me I am not nice back, I am only here to help people - I dont do it for profit
I have quite clearly told 3 people to ---- off who abused me.

Very true. Those who enter the free web hosting industry should understand there is no money to make. All you get is to work the hell out of yourselves and hopefully your client will appreciate your effort. Those who believe you can cover your cost through ads, start dreaming.

Great post, buts its a load of bull**** If you think like that why you in the game?

Theres money to made but you gotta find it and work for it simple as...

efil said:
Free web hosting is indeed a great fun and is too much exciting that you will even become addicted to it, keeping you staring at the your PC monitor for a long period of time, refreshing the browser every few seconds to see if there's a new post in the forum, skipping meals, missed assignments and whatnots. But as time goes by when you begin to realize the net worth of it, when you started to feel the burden of its financial, physical and psychological stress, it will be the time when you will begin to ponder what you have missed, where is the money, and why the hell are you so tired and lonely. You will start to raise every sort of questions that have only one answer - it's a wasteland.
Thats your personal opinion.

Im not trying to be a bastardo here I wish you the best of luck..

but offering 7 GB of Free Web Space
70 GB of Free Bandwidth
No post, no ads for life

Thats why your feeling so glum....

Nah, don't worry. The post is not about intimidating you or anyone else, nor would your reply intimidate me (I guess :p). It's only an effort to grasp about the truths that lies behind (no pun intended), and not to belittle anything that remains valuable and worthwhile. And may I say, it's not merely a personal opinion, but a conclusion based on observed, reported, and experienced facts within a considerable span of time.

Your question is in a way similar to asking, "Why do media people goes to dangerous wars?" Where the answer could be obvious but would break a mind to understand.

70 GB of Free Bandwidth
No post, no ads for life

Those are just the numbers that best fit our likings. We have the capability (or shall I say, luxury) to offer even higher than 10 GB to 100 GB because we only offer our service to the very selected few. You've heard me right, "few." Because we even delete members and foreclose accounts every now and then - too much for one who should be feeling so glum. :fangel:

That is a pretty interesting post - I like how you refer to free hosting as an addiction - it is true! :)

Great post, buts its a load of bull**** If you think like that why you in the game?

Theres money to made but you gotta find it and work for it simple as...

Thats your personal opinion.

Im not trying to be a bastardo here I wish you the best of luck..

70 GB of Free Bandwidth
No post, no ads for life

the only way i've seen someone use up their full allowed diskspace/bandwidth is by abusing it.

Well, it's an expression of 1 opinion on the possible philosophy, nothing more.

It doesn't provide any hard evidence or facts to support the claim. It is an opinion developed from one person's experience, who is probably addicted himself. It appears an opinion experienced from only the lower end of the spectrum. If you want to make general statements about the general industry you must research and consider the all kinds.

I don't agree with the addict idea personally either.

I think it depends what you make of it.

Different people have different ideas of success. Nothing in life comes easy, unless you are especially lucky. The idea of success for me is seeing my members enjoying their webspace, receiving honest support and offering them a better service to that of what other huge, but equally 'non-personal' hosts offer.

With hard work, determination and a good load of effort- a small webhosting company can easily take off. As with anything, if the drive behind your idea isn't there- you wont succeed in finding what you're looking for.

The reason many people request so much free space and bandwidth is the same old thing, "they offered it, so why can't you?" - and I reply, "they died, like you said, so why are you still expecting the same service?"

The problem with the free web hosting industry over time is demand for space and bandwidth over time grew, so people could easily grab themselves 3GB of space - and they know it. So new hosting providers take that point into account - and start a Web host with 5GB of space absolutely free to grab attention and signups - but eventually, the toll reaches and the person realises that wasn't a good idea, their reseller has been suspended due to accounts violating the Web host's Terms and Conditions, etc.

So, that's why many new hosts offer big specifications because they think small specs won't get them anywhere in the industry. All Websites start of with small specifications, and sure free hosts can offer you Web hosting no matter how big your site is, as long as you (the Customer) give something back. Add advertisements or become active on the community - rather 80% of all people don't want to do this, unless you give something back to the Web host, they will eventually close down. Sit there and think, "okay, my site is brand new; it'll be a forum - great! What specs do I need? Hmm... 50MB of space will surely do - and because its new, about 1GB of bandwidth. And of course, they'll let me upgrade if I contribute something". But, how does forum posting help, I hear you ask?

Main reason is forum activity; as a forum grows in activity - more people are inclined to come to the forum and join - more and more people means better revenue for Google adsense that's stuck at the top of the page - impressions as well as clicks.

So, if people change their attitude towards requesting, web hosts will change their attitude towards providing.

Very true. Those who enter the free web hosting industry should understand there is no money to make. All you get is to work the hell out of yourselves and hopefully your client will appreciate your effort. Those who believe you can cover your cost through ads, start dreaming.

Not all free "hostlords" are created equal. I agree about most of the opinions in this posting, but there are a few out there that came into the free hosting biz for different reason with different expectations. What I expect to get out of free hosting is experience, I haven't set it up to gain any revenue. It also helps out on my resume because I not only run a hosting company, but I build my storage servers from scratch (i.e. purchased parts from newegg.com). My application server on the other hand, I purchased from Dell. Web Hosting for me is actually only a small portion of my business structure, I'm an on call service tech who can also offer web hosting if you need it. When I start offering service to paid customers, I will have all the bugs worked on from the free hosted clients. oh well, to each is own i guess. very well written article by the way.

And its true, you can get profit out of ads, some Web hosts with just 100 members are getting about $15 of adsense a month - its not a bad start. So, your theory is wrong. Anyone will click ads if they are interesting enough!

Great thread. I skimmed over it and you mite want to add Free Hosts do not mean free .COM domain. I got alot of requests when I worked for a free host.

And its true, you can get profit out of ads, some Web hosts with just 100 members are getting about $15 of adsense a month - its not a bad start. So, your theory is wrong. Anyone will click ads if they are interesting enough!

except, you forget to host 150 people you need a dedicated server or VPS at the value of at least 50 USD/month.
PHAIL :wave:
If your going to sit here and attack what people say, at least make sure what your saying makes sense..

Last edited:
except, you forget to host 150 people you need a dedicated server or VPS at the value of at least 50 USD/month.
PHAIL :wave:
If your going to sit here and attack what people say, at least make sure what your saying makes sense..

I have a VPS already so yes it does make sense :). Rather likewise to you ;). Anyway, no one was attacking but you ;).

Context of Free Webspace

...When I start offering service to paid customers, I will have all the bugs worked on from the free hosted clients.

This gets to the point that always piques my attention. What specific reasons made y'all choose to provide *free* webspace? It clearly signals that the client has foregone a paid pro-host option, and is willing to take their shot at one of the hybrid-economy alternatives.

I myself am a low/zero maintenance dabbler who simply builds little pages to organize favorite ideas of the year. I use my links because it's a pain to type the addresses of my favorite sites. My usage will probably not exceed a Gigabyte storage, and the bandwidth is small. If I see an interesting ad on the provider homepage, I'll visit the vendor page.

For those of you operating with "aggressive packages", to me it's just the other side of the labor-$ equation. No cash paid, sure, but the requirements force labor efforts equal at the minimum to $25/month.

I started in free hosting because it was fun, and it provided a useful service. As for users, they choose it mainly for economic reasons - they cannot afford a paid hosting plan (or do not need to afford one, because their project is so simple and not too critical). Some of them sometimes upgrade to a paid plan, and some do not.

Well, it's an expression of 1 opinion on the possible philosophy, nothing more.

It doesn't provide any hard evidence or facts to support the claim. It is an opinion developed from one person's experience, who is probably addicted himself. It appears an opinion experienced from only the lower end of the spectrum. If you want to make general statements about the general industry you must research and consider the all kinds.

I don't agree with the addict idea personally either.

If you are not new to free web hosting, then the facts must have been clear without even mentioning any. But if you really need concrete evidences then try to search for footprints of "Unmetered Society" - unmeteredsociety.com or "Free Web Hosts Alliance" - freewebhostsalliance.com, which were once are projects supported by Fine Traders Group to generate data and references regarding free web hosting.

The sites were hosted at a dedicated server from pixelFX solutions sometime ago. We can not disclose detailed data about the report, but some conclusions based on these data is already included in this article.

Back