• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long do you think FWS will last?

I think Peo is going to slowly turn it into a pay to join forum and nobody will realize what happened until it's too late.

I wouldnt be so sure on that Joe, the thing is, the internet is a much wider spectrum, and has an infinitely larger capacity for expansion. Also, a lot more jobs depend on the internet, and the introduction of new code languages and concepts keeps the web a refreshing place to be. Look at the large expansion of online desktop tools - maybe that and online backing up will be the next thing.
Then of course you have the factor that the internet is relied upon for a vast amount of communication.

Nothing is actually infinite, and no it doesn't have "an infinite capacity to grow", because in the end we won't need it, technological development isn't gonna just stop because people happen to like using and make a lot of money from the internet, nothing lasts forever and the internet will run it's course, the idea of the internet can only be developed so far and then be replaced by what we learnt from developing it .....

I honestly don't know what teletext is. Now you've made me interested I'll look it up on wikipedia.

EDIT-
Okay, it's a europe thing. Quite interesting though... Reminds me of the french minitel system, both were kind of cool but neither managed to catch on in the US.

Edit2-
utcrazy I like your avatar :). Colbert Nation Forever!

Last edited:
It started in the UK, but many other countries have since developed and indeed abandoned thier own versions ..... including the USA

Yeah, except nobody ever used it in the US at all. The only thing close that people actually used (and took a few years to die) was webTV. One of the stupidest ideas to come out of the 90s, everybody who bought one instantly regretted it.

Versions of teletext were used in the usa untill 1993, which is more than 15 years since it was first broadcast in the UK, I'd say that some people must have used it for it to be broadcast for that long ...... we're getting offtopic, the point is that when things like teletext came about they were the cutting edge, and now there is a replacement for them they have been ( or are being ) abandoned, not broadcast for nostalgic or any other purpose ...... the same thing will happen to the internet, as soon as it makes commercial sense for companies around the globe to invest in other sorts of advertising and communication the internets demise will come about ..... regardless of what it's users think .....

the same thing will happen to the internet, as soon as it makes commercial sense for companies around the globe to invest in other sorts of advertising and communication the internets demise will come about ..... regardless of what it's users think .....

I disagree, these things died off eartly because they were never that great to begin with. They were limited. The internet isn't limited, it changes and what you can do with it changes. You can do almost anything online, and many people are now focused on adding new potential.

Don't forget we're still only on web 2.0. AOL lasted a hell of a lot more versions than 2, and there are still people using it :p

I just can't wait until my county gets the free wireless installed so I can use my Nokia 770 tablet anywhere in town.

Then I can surf FWS all day long and it won't ever go away!

Plus I won't have to keep using my Comcast cable service all the time. Although it's extremely reliable and faaassstt.

The internet will die like the Sega Channel died.

neVer. The Internet will never die. It'll go under ground where only the elite will have access to it and use it as a communication channel and will keep the above ground folks out of it.

It'll be one super duper big wireless network were there will be Anderson Agents trying to locate the hidden wifi antennas.

I dont think it will die as such, not totally, rather it will evolve into a different sort of communication, something better obviously, and if there are Mr Andersons, I'll be the first .....

I disagree, these things died off eartly because they were never that great to begin with. They were limited. The internet isn't limited, it changes and what you can do with it changes. You can do almost anything online, and many people are now focused on adding new potential.

Don't forget we're still only on web 2.0. AOL lasted a hell of a lot more versions than 2, and there are still people using it :p

nothing can perpetually exist in one state, everything changes, it's a fact of life, technology is no different, it's true the internet can change, but there will most certainly come a time when the internet doesn't satisfy the global or possibly even inter-global needs for communication, it just won't, at the moment the internet is relatively empty, it won't always be that way, with every single commercial ( and even non-commercial ) entity in the world wanting a slice of the pie, the pie is sure to run out. The internet as we know it was never supposed to be like this, the internet is not a child of design but evolution, known more commonly as technological advance, and the internet as we know it is sure to keep evolving into whatever we need .......

dont start posting things that exist in one state, I was making a point, I'm aware that there is probably some things that do not ever change, but there aren't many, and technology is cerainly not on that list.

Back