• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Zeus performance

Fahrenheit

b&
Hello.
Do you have experience with companies offering Zeus instead of Apache. Is it fluence to server performance.
Serverpoint.com (company I look at) offers Zeus:
http://www.serverpoint.com/english/features-development.phtml
Is it really true that Zeus gives more performance then Apache?
Seems that Serverpoint offers web application optimized packages.
What do you think is it ok to work with Serverpoint.com or better use not optimized packages?

Furthermore, ServerPoint.com's PHP and MySQL installations are modified for performance and customized for the most amount of features the customers need. Their RAM and memory caching usage is optimized for fast query processing. And they actually keep these applications up to date and secure.

Serverpoint.com? Wasn't they were A+Hosting.com before?
They were known back in 2001, they were using Zeus at that time already.

There are some serverpoint.com threads at WHT, you could probably get more answers there.

Apart from serverpoint.com there's only one host I know of uses Zeus, it's titanhosts.net.

I never heard of Zeus but I check whois of this company
Record expires on 01-Jun-2016.
Record created on 01-Jun-2001.

they seems to be live for long time , how was your experience with their hosting ?

ServerPoint.com writes:
For our server's file system, we use the fast and stable ReiserFS file system. Its file indexing structure is so efficient it makes it easy for our Zeus web server to serve your web site quicker than any other solution.
Can anybody explain to me what ReiserFS file system is?

Last edited:
from wikipedia
ReiserFS is the default file system on the Slackware, Xandros, Yoper, Linspire, GoboLinux and Kurumin Linux, Linux distributions. ReiserFS was the default file system in Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise until Novell decided to move to ext3 on October 12, 2006[2] for future releases.
Compared to ext2 and ext3 in version 2.4 of the Linux kernel, when dealing with files under 4 KiB and with tail packing enabled, ReiserFS is often faster by a factor of 10–15.[citation needed] This is of great benefit in Usenet news spools, HTTP caches, mail delivery systems and other applications where performance with small files is critical.

Besides, if you want to know more about Apace and Zeus advantages and disadvantages you may view it here.
I think ServerPoint.com is right in providing Zeus server. Good choice IMHO.

I'm glad I came across this article , andf the verdict of it is
Apache is the product of hundreds of dedicated volunteers, and is proof of the power of free open-source software. When it comes to running your Intranet, it will remain stable and is unlikely to let you down. For a great deal more money, Zeus offers a small range of improvements over Apache for your Intranet. It's main advantage of load bearing is unlikely to be necessary on most Intranets, and is more designed for highly popular websites. That said, Zeus's interface is intuitive and makes administrating your Intranet a breeze.

In conclusion, for all but the largest Intranets, Apache is the ideal solution as it's free and reliable. For that extra power, as well as the availability of telephone support, Zeus is certainly a viable alternative - if the budget is available

I guess serverpoint.com get this extra power and stability using Zeus server.

I personally as end customer shouldn't worry about that (I mean which web server software company use). I expect quality. And nothing more.
For Serverpoint.com - they only try in this way to give their customers better service. And that it is their decision. I'm sure that plenty of customers over there not familar with web hosting terms. ;)

I personally as end customer shouldn't worry about that (I mean which web server software company use). I expect quality. And nothing more.
For Serverpoint.com - they only try in this way to give their customers better service. And that it is their decision. I'm sure that plenty of customers over there not familar with web hosting terms. ;)
But I think before choosing a web hosting company, the end user must read terms very thoroughly if he wants to avoid amy issues in future. And not only terms but SLA and Privacy Policy as well. As for SeverPoint.com, this company is known with their a top notch customer service.

Thank you guys - that was really interesting to learn about ZEUS. Is this a reason that Serverpoint.com offers packages for web applications? Or it doesnot metter at all?

Maybe...I would technically say that from benchmarks I have always seen, it is highly dependent on content.

Example:
Zeus

Complete requests: 10000
Concurrency Level: 200
Requests per second: 1373.01 [#/sec] (mean)

Litespeed (enterprise edition)

Complete requests: 10000
Concurrency Level: 200
Requests per second: 4553.24 [#/sec] (mean)

On Static Images....Litespeed blows Zeus out of the water. Same with CGI+PHP...So it is all dependent on what you serve the most. 80% of hosting companies serve a market of static/php/image heavy websites. In that sense, Zeus is going to hurt you -- even compared to Apache. Apache is technically as fast or faster than Zeus in many benchmark tests that I have seen.

I think if anyone has enough traffic to need the load balancing and offerings of a $1700.00 product then go with LiteSpeed or Sun Java System Web Server (formerly IPlanet).

Last edited:
Back