• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

World Series

Who are you rooting for?

• Diamondbacks

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yankees

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • not smart enough to be able to appreciate baseball ;)

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Hoth

NLC
NLC
I know there's a disturbing lack of baseball fans around here, but I'll try anyway.

The World Series starts today, in a little over 13 hours. New York Yankees at Arizona Diamondbacks. In game one the DBacks send Curt Schilling, one of the greatest big game pitchers of modern times, against Mike Mussina. If they had any sense they'd have Schilling pitch on short rest in games 4 and 7 so he could have 3 starts in the series, but unfortunately they aren't doing that.

The team that's won 3 in a row and 4 of the last 5 championships vs. a team that's never been to a World Series before. A team that knows it'll be back every year vs. a team with a lot of aging veterans that know they're running out of time. Arrogance vs. professionalism. If that doesn't give a clue to which team I'm rooting for, my new avatar should. :)

Admittedly MLB only has teams in 2 countries, but there are players from every continent except Africa. (Of course, back around 1901 when the World Series was first created it was almost all Americans, and for that matter only white Americans.)

Last edited:
Well, I don't like baseball, but I"m tired of the Yankees winning all the time...baseball is the only sport where a team can buy a championship.

Originally posted by Blank Verse
Well, I don't like baseball, but I"m tired of the Yankees winning all the time...baseball is the only sport where a team can buy a championship.
In the Uk we have Manchester United who manage to win the um... soccer league every year because of there big spending on "quality" players ;)

I'd rather see the Diamondbacks win and take away the championship from the Yanks..

BTW. how much is the Yank's payroll this year?

Originally posted by stu
BTW. how much is the Yank's payroll this year?

As of opening day this year the Yankee payroll was $109,791,893. They made some midseason trades to add a bit to that (Hitchcock makes a fair bit, for one)... I think their overall payroll for the year ended up around $115,000,000. That'd be about the same as it was last year.

Good prevails over evil in game one :D , Schilling once again dominating. Final: Arizona 9, New York 1. Randy Johnson faces Andy Pettitte tomorrow.

Last edited:
Baseball is boring, but I'll catch bits and pieces of the games. Diamondbacks up 1-0, yay!!

Basketball is where it's at...season opens October 30th.

I've always wondered how basketball fans can say baseball is boring. I don't really dislike basketball to the extent I dislike football and hockey, but it just seems incredibly boring to me. In basketball scoring means nothing at all, they just run down the court and get a basket, then hand the ball back to the other team to immediately cancel that out. How do you know when to bother to cheer? And after hours of trading baskets and maybe 200 or more combined points scored, the teams usually end up within a few points of each other in the end and it all comes down to who makes the last couple of baskets to decide who wins... which leaves me wondering why they bother to play the rest of the game and make it so long.

i agree with phrozen. in basketball there is something interesting always happening but in baseball all they do is hit the crappy ball. the only fun part in baseball is when they hit a homerun. baseball is soooo boring. when you look at the people that watch the game at the stadiums, even they seem to me like they are bored. soccer and basketball are the best. they take more skill, streangth and everything else you can think of to play.

Originally posted by adizlaja
the only fun part in baseball is when they hit a homerun. baseball is soooo boring.

Home runs are unfortunately somewhat boring and basketball/soccer like... I'd prefer less of them, but tolerate them. On a home run it's just a couple of seconds and it's all over, no build up, no chance to enjoy it. Simply the crack of the bat and it's all over. What is exciting is 3 singles to score a run... or better yet a single, stolen base and another single... or two doubles... or a triple and a sac fly... or a catcher's interference, balk, error, and squeeze bunt. With any of those there's drama, strategy, players have to make an effort, they have to run after the ball, they have to run the bases, they have to throw the ball, they have to try to slide in ahead of the tag. There's a chance to see the buildup to the scoring, a chance to feel the excitement of the clutch situation where everyone knows the batter needs a hit, or even after the hit the drama of the runner rounding third and the outfielder getting to it and getting off a throw and the catcher blocking the plate and the ball coming in just as the runner goes into a slide. There's no other sport where the act of scoring has anywhere near the amount of drama and excitement to it.

The most boring so-called action in all of sports is the free throw. There aren't even teams involved, it's just somebody standing and tossing something into a basket unopposed, no challenge at all... and pathetically they even miss a lot. And what's even more pathetic is the outcome of basketball games are basically decided by those free throws, who gets more and who doesn't miss the basket when they don't even have any opposition. It's like golf without the scenery. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by adizlaja
soccer and basketball are the best. they take more skill, streangth and everything else you can think of to play.

Uh, let's see you try baseball and show how easy it is, then. The best in every sport require more skill than the rest of the world is capable of, obviously. Although in basketball it's more about the freaks of nature who are 7 feet tall, rather than normal sized people building up strength and skill. Still, I suppose pro basketball players do have more skill than other 7 foot tall people.

I'll give soccer credit for at least making scoring interesting, even if too quick. At least soccer games aren't 115-113.

Back