• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows VS Linux

Windows Vs Linux

• Linux is good but I hate command prompt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want linux but I don't know where to get it

• It depends on what distro of Linux you're talking about

• Total voters

Dark_Element

In China Linux is currently kicking Windows's a$$ very hard because:
1 - linux is more reliable
2 - linux is faster and efficent
3 - linux can be coustomised more than windows
4 - most importantly linux is mostly free

I am asking you to tell me what do you think is better in the poll above

I already posted about the futility of argueing over which OS is best just last week so I'll just link to that post: http://freewebspace.net/forums/showpost.php?p=486412&postcount=20

As far as your claims go:
1 - linux is more reliable
A very broad generalization: a big portion of Linux machines are servers which tend to have a limited set of drivers and programs installed. If you don't continually install new, untested or unstable programs on any OS and are very rigid about what you'll allow on it and what you won't, there's no reason for it to crash.
People complaining about an OS crashing don't refer to the stability of a server, but their own desktop, secondly "Windows crashes a lot" is also a broad claim. Which Windows? 9x or NT/2k/XP? The former you're probably right, the latter crashing I'd attribute to either a hardware problem or the fact that you installed something wrong.
The number of pure Linux desktops is insignificant compared to the number of Windows desktops. If you do want to compare in a somewhat reliable way, divide the number of crashes per OS by the number of PCs running that OS full time and separate Windows 9x from NT based Windows.
Lastly, Windows targets an entire different market than Linux does. Everyone has to be able to work with Windows, regardless of their computer skills. I don't think it's entirely unfair to label the regular Linux user as being above average computer savy. So when comparing, either dump a few million people in front of a Linux PC and see how they cope or drop them from the comparison.
If Microsoft as much as fixes a spelling mistake in their documentation it becomes headline world news, whereas reports about Linux security flaws remain relatively obscure to the general public.

I'm also continually surprised at the hypocracy of what Microsoft is expected to do. All those people who rant without end about how insecure Windows is are the same people that scream in outrage when Microsoft tries to counter some of its mistakes because it inconveniences them.
Security and ease of use don't tend to go hand in hand. However, it's alright for Linux since it's Linux, but somehow Windows has to be secure and not get in your way about it.
A lot of software vendors (even Microsoft at times) also don't make it any easier by things such as requiring you to be a member of the Administrators group to either install or run a program, leaving you at a higher risk. I personally don't ever log in to Windows under an administrative account, but I doubt most people would want to bother with right clicking and choosing "Run as" each time they want to install something as insignifcant as WinZip.

Another perfect example is Outlook Express' default behaviour of blocking potentially unsafe attachments. How hard is it to turn that off when you need it? Yet people complain, read their next email and open an attachment called "some celebrity nude.jpg.exe", ignore the warnings and then come back to complain that their computer was somehow infected and lay the blame squarely on Microsoft.

Say something like "IMO Microsoft made a mistake by not delivering the OS secured by default and then provide an easy and informative way of letting users unblock some things, while at the same time explaining what the potential risks could be" and I'll agree with you, but I'm really tired of seeing some of the "Linux crowd" spewing biased, unfounded and unarguemented claims.
And yes, I'm probably biased in favour of Windows and I do have my personal reasons for disliking Linux, but I think I can at least step above the "Windows rules because Linux just sucks!" level.
</rant> :p

I used to have both on my lappy before it got stolen.

But I found myself booting more into windows then linux.
One neat featured I loved tho is the weather in taskbar that linux had :biggrin2:

Linux is good for a server, but for a persnnal pc, nah, not for me.
Macs are out of question, single-click only. pfff :p

The debate over which is better, Windows or Linux is the same debate as DSL vs Cable, you can't compare. Each has it's pros, each has it's cons.

Select an OS that fits YOUR Needs. For me, Windows fits me needs as a desktop OS, FreeBSD fits my needs for a server OS.

Anyone who says Windows is insecure is an idiot because they do not know how to properly secure their machine.

Robert said:
Do you know what a Mac's OS is based off of?
UNIX, not Linux.

And I like Windows and I am sticking to it. I just hate it when people start comparing and say blah is better than blah. So I said Mac OS was better since it wasn't part of the poll.

Last edited:
trenzterra said:
UNIX, not Linux.

And I like Windows and I am sticking to it. I just hate it when people start comparing and say blah is better than blah. So I said Mac OS was better since it wasn't part of the poll.
Yes, Unix.

I have WinXP and Slackware 9.1 installed. I'll use slackware every once and again, but there are some things that Linux just really sucks at. Like IM programs. There are zero (0) and/or less good multi-protocol IM programs for linux. They all suck.
Default support for fonts. The default fonts in X/KDE Linux suck.
And there are things Linux is good at. But I personally prefer Windows. :)

I prefer Win98 simply because I feel you have better control over the drivers, whereas, XP tends to install drivers on its own.

I don't care. It's pointless to argue over something like this. I have Linux installed, I have Windows installed. They have their ups and downs like every OS out there.

err notnamed... windows tends to crash more than linux.... well i have to admit it does depend on the distro of linux, and it also depends on the task but in most cases windows kicks out before linux

notnamed, have you tried gaim as an IM client? The newest version is superb. I'd also choose some other distro than Slackware...

Dark_Element said:
err notnamed... windows tends to crash more than linux.... well i have to admit it does depend on the distro of linux, and it also depends on the task but in most cases windows kicks out before linux
My XP Machine never crashes.

just my two bits with, who really cares?. sure my machine runs xp and does a very good job of it. i've never had any problems with xp, and from my history of using it hasn't ever stuffed up. the only reason a majority of people use windows is that its easy to use and readily avilable. thatas about the size of it. linux is cool if it was abit easier and such and mac would be used more if more ppl decided to sale the software more. i think in my entire existance i've only ever seen two shops deciated to mac software. thats the big picture for ya. so now close this thread and build a bridge and get over it.

Fuzzylogic said:
i think in my entire existance i've only ever seen two shops deciated to mac software. .

i believe that would be an Apple Store =/

i wanna vote Dark_Element off the island.

although my computer does crash.. i can't exactly blame windows.. i always manage to achieve the same thing in linux anyway.. i like to call it segfaults and kernel panics :D

(both i managed to achieve on my first install of linux! :D)

Last edited:
Robert said:
My XP Machine never crashes.
Yeah, BSODs only came about once or twice for me when someone DoSsed me.

Ben said:
I don't care. It's pointless to argue over something like this. I have Linux installed, I have Windows installed. They have their ups and downs like every OS out there.

Amen.

Back