• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows crashing/shutting down?

trenzterra

NLC
Is it a virus?

It says that Windows has encountered a RPC procedure error and will reboot.

It shows a time limit of 60 seconds and it will restart by itself.

I couldn't take a screenshot I don't know why.

Please help?

I get this problem twice today

Once is when I try to ctrl+v, second is when i clear my temp files.

Help

Well...I had a firewall...and virus scanner. I would think that would have been enough. Funny thing, I can't open any links posted, because new windows won't open...

Brainstorm! Use opera!

Hmm...windowsupdate doesn't work in Opera...funny thing.

Oh...and it seems the bug or whatever is preventing Windows Update from working in IE. You know, a simple link to an exe should suffice...anyone got one?

Last edited:
Thanks Jan, just found those links myself. I used my virus scanner to rid my system of the worm, and then IE was working fine again, so I could actually use it to go places. But windows update wouldn't work still...

Anyways, I'm all better...

For now....mHA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

yes! THE BUG IS FIXED!!!

so far so good

i guess this is the first time i'm updating my system...

i thought i wouldn't get hacked etc...

thanks for all your help.

You werent hacked, your box was left unsecured and vunerable, hence the reason we use Windows Update.....often, and you were infected with a worm.

Microsoft had a fix out since bloody June/July, so it really is your fault if you haven't used Windows Update since June/July. Learn a lesson, Windows Update is good, Windows Update fixes security issues, If you used Windows Update, this wouldn't have happened.

Originally posted by Moonman
You werent hacked, your box was left unsecured and vunerable, hence the reason we use Windows Update.....often, and you were infected with a worm.

Microsoft had a fix out since bloody June/July, so it really is your fault if you haven't used Windows Update since June/July. Learn a lesson, Windows Update is good, Windows Update fixes security issues, If you used Windows Update, this wouldn't have happened.
I kept restoring my PC after July, so I didn't bother to update (yet).

Originally posted by tandoc
but it isnt moonman
Heh im never on the ball :p. Trenz, make sure you take something out of this, and that is even if you are restoring, keep as up to date as possible :).

this just happened to me :( when i did netstat in the command prompt, i saw like 20+ things going on. I turned off my laptop and rebooted and it kept happening. couldnt stay online for more than 3 mins so then i used AOL to connect since my dad has it for free right now and it finally worked right. did a windows update (1.5 hrs) and now its fine. first time im happy that i have aol :D

does the worm destroy anything on the comp? i was planning on reinstalling windows like 2 weeks ago and i guess heres my sign to do it right now :p

these hackers are gettin smarter and annoying everyday... damn windows xp "security" :mad: makes me want to go back to win95 or 98 :)

Now everyone is going to be talking about how insecure and unstable Windows is, despite the fact that its their own fault that they didnt get the patch that's been out for months.

I think Windows' reputation is totally undeserved. It IS fast, stable, and secure if you know how to use it. Funny how my copy of XP never crashes, never gets viruses, never gets hacked, etc. yet I know so many people who use XP that can't keep their system stable for 10 mins. Usually its because people don't know how to properly configure and maintain their software (as is this case with this worm) and the fact that most people install a ton of spyware.

Originally posted by Conscript
I think Windows' reputation is totally undeserved. It IS fast, stable, and secure if you know how to use it. Funny how my copy of XP never crashes, never gets viruses, never gets hacked, etc. yet I know so many people who use XP that can't keep their system stable for 10 mins. Usually its because people don't know how to properly configure and maintain their software (as is this case with this worm) and the fact that most people install a ton of spyware.

I've kept mine stable and un-hacked until now. Yes, I should have used Windows Update. I haven't updated since...SP 1. Now, I will do it more often.

I'm not one going to go start blaming MS, but you are absolutely correct, they will get flamed for this vulnerability.

At least, as I understand...it doesn't really do anything harmful. It just forces your system to crash. It could have been a lot worse...a lot worse.

I run Windows update every now and then. Luckily since this update is 2 months old or so I've already had it. I think I might start scheduling automatic updates every week now. Windows XP lets you do that automatically, so not updating for an extended period is even more of an invalid excuse.

Back