• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

will CSS hurt SEO ?

Yes but it shouldn`t hurt Seo. Search Engines don`t usually go on how good the page looks or the colours.

<<set up a signature in your profile>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the search engines read the html code of your site but hiding words shouldn`t hurt the SEO the engines are slightly colour blind.

<<set up a signature in your profile>>

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also place them in hidden div's... or better yet, give the public one version and search engines another (using mod_rewite).

CSS may hurt SEO if you use it for "black hat" tricks, On the other hand if you use CSS to make a nice and clean layout and to keep text together it won't harm your site

Why you want to have words with the same color as background? This practice might be considered keyword stuffing which is not good. Your site may get penalized if the SEs discover keyword stuffing as this practice is considered unethical

if u want to use same color in backround then do one thing make 1 x 1 pixel image file of same color in fotoshop and use it as backround color so no one except human eyes will know that u r using same color in backround

Meksilon said:
You could also place them in hidden div's... or better yet, give the public one version and search engines another (using mod_rewite).

Lots of sites do this, it's most probably the best option available to you.

Hey jamestcs ! Its unethical practice to have words with the same color as background. It may hurt your Page Rank.

SEO view, I'd think more about other ranking considerations out there. Basically, making your CSS validated or validated HTML won't do much relative to all those variables.

CSS can hurt your website's view and speed in some cases. Likewise, one of WP site's plugin was putting much CSS and I noticed that it is made many of my web pages empty.

Back