• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why is .co so expensive?

deanhills

I don't know much about domains and am on a learning curve. I've been checking up on some of the domain registrars/resellers and notice that .co is at least three times as expensive as .com? Why is that? I also don't really see any .co's around. Are they more like an elite type domain?
:)

Nah, far from elite... check your registration intermediary company, it might be a private company loading up on fees.

It's just a new version of .com and since it costs so much to setup a new tld they have to recoup it as quick as, just means all the good names (short ones) are available again (with exceptions, see below) and you might get a mistype going to your site rather than the intended .com - although wait for all the legal stuff over who uses names that are already taken as .com :D

Take for example 'mcdonalds' they have the .com and .co.uk and probably a few others but not .co - why not?
They don't need to, they have trademark protection, so if you reg mcdonalds.co then you would be in a heap of pain.

Domain name extensions are running short of usable meaningful names, and those useless gits that buy up and hang onto good names hoping to make a fortune selling them should be forced to release them if they're not in active use rather than just creating new extensions.

Domain name extensions are running short of usable meaningful names, and those useless gits that buy up and hang onto good names hoping to make a fortune selling them should be forced to release them if they're not in active use rather than just creating new extensions.

Totally agree! I was searching today for a domain name, and unfortunately all my desired names were taken by some hosting companies and they didn't had any site on those domains.

Totally agree! I was searching today for a domain name, and unfortunately all my desired names were taken by some hosting companies and they didn't had any site on those domains.

Welcome to the world of wasted domains. These stupid parking companies will swipe up domains left and right and then just sit on them for years trying to sell them for $500. I guess if somebody wants it bad enough, they'll pay up.

It's just a new version of .com and since it costs so much to setup a new tld they have to recoup it as quick as, just means all the good names (short ones) are available again (with exceptions, see below) and you might get a mistype going to your site rather than the intended .com - although wait for all the legal stuff over who uses names that are already taken as .com :D

Take for example 'mcdonalds' they have the .com and .co.uk and probably a few others but not .co - why not?
They don't need to, they have trademark protection, so if you reg mcdonalds.co then you would be in a heap of pain.

Thanks Decker, this makes great sense to me. Also thanks for the heads up about trademark protection. Guess one must have your ducks in a row when you start a serious .com business.
:)

Ofcourse .co domain names is expensive than .com domain .
.com domain is Normal TLD domain which is the cheaper domain.
.co domain play a role of country domain which is Columbia and it also play role of company.
That is why .co domain tend to be more expensive.

.co domain play a role of country domain which is Columbia and it also play role of company.

That actually doesn't explain anything at all.

.co is expensive because this is a cctld of Columbia. They usually are of higher price.

.co is not the domain naming convention for Columbia .com.co is making it a second level domain, .co is a Tld as in top level domain and recently introduced.

For a Columbian domain it would be 'mysite.com.co' not 'mysite.co' .co is a global Tld.

Do you people not read threads, again it's not a long one.

It might be efficiently used by some companies, like, say, Pepsi.co but It is really unnecessary, plus it is a country code.

At least, there will be less domain squatter if the price is high.
It is kinda hard to find a nice domain in the .com extension.
Those which are very nice, most of them are either taken by other company, or those domain squatter who point the domain to a domain parking page...

Back