• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why did you make a hosting company?

Why did you make a hosting company?

• As a hobby

Votes: 51 78.5%
  • To get lots of cash

Votes: 14 21.5%

• Total voters
Started several years back when I was in teens. Eversince the idea got into my head, I cannot stop thinking about hosting.

A hobby, and still is! Although i have gotten some death threats already :tired2: Not my fault i get stitched by a dodgy company :cry2:

Started iiPanel back in April 2005 just to have an additional line of business. During Jan. 2006 decided to grow it to get advanced experience in the hosting industry as well as earn additional income. Hosting industry is competitive but is now in our blood.

I was fed up of the lack of service I was getting as a customer, and though, "Hey... I'm a Unix Sysadmin and familiar with Linux, I might as well do it myself, then I know it's done properly". I bunged a bit of cash at it to rent a dedicated box and sold a few accounts.

It was a natural extension to the web & database consultancy we already did.

Never looked back :)

Money Money Money, MONEY!!!!
I like that song
No i cant make any money out of it so just really a hobby.

Why do I hear that many hosts do not make money out of their hosting business?
Why do you think this is happening to many?

Maybe it is lack of planning?

As you can see this is a free hosting forum... So most people here do it as a hobby - They don't get profit out of it.

To be more specific I was talking about paid hosting providers, I hear plenty closing down for not having enough profits which actually make me question why this happens to them.

because people think it is easy money. buy a $4/mo reseller account and chanrge people $10/mo for 10gb space 800gb bandwidth and become rich in 2 weeks

To be more specific I was talking about paid hosting providers, I hear plenty closing down for not having enough profits which actually make me question why this happens to them.
Alot of them close down because they think they will get about 5 customers in a week.

lol this is true :lol:
they may end up getting 5 customers but with each one paying $1 or $2 per month, and then no to forget the killer paypal transaction fees.
This is a tough business I think.

I see a lot of people here mentioning they made no money on hosting, through my ventures, I have made quite a good amount through hosting.

I know some people that pay 0% due to merchant, but my PayPal is just a normal Premier account, I like it that way

Back