• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Who is using windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
Any tips for making it easier to use? Especially getting a toolbar on apps! :fork:

I tried...I really did. I put a version on a computer just to test it. Same with Windows Server 2012.

It's all rubbish. I use Windows 7 on all my computers, and will not be upgrading anytime soon. Win8 is just freakin' impossible to use. Maybe it's easy for the kids, with all their wacky smartphone stuff they do, but for somebody who has been using real computers forever, Win8 is just not happening.

Windows 8 and their stupid "metro interface" is wonderful if you're using a tablet or some other touch screen device. But like WSWD mentioned above, it's impossible to use on a desktop or laptop when you've used a desktop your whole life. I can't do that little cell phone / tablet nonsense. I need a full computer in order to be even semi-productive. The start button being gone was a complete pain in the ---. I used a software called "Start8" from stardock to put the start button back. Only then did I find it even remotely usable.

It's driving me nuts! And you can't install windows 7 over it apparently. Well you can, but not without a heap of problems. Time wasting crap it is. If I want apps I can use them on my mobile. At least with those you can hit the back button or home.
[MENTION=4943]deeplist[/MENTION], just installed start8, a few have mentioned it before. But you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use windows. :fork:

I completely agree, but... it is a good piece of software none-the-less to return some functionality, and some sanity for the end user who happens to be a little more "old skool" than some of these kids.

With Start8, the start menu is completely customizable. I found that to be great to return some peace of mind and replicate the Windows 7 start menu.

It's driving me nuts! And you can't install windows 7 over it apparently. Well you can, but not without a heap of problems.

It's very easy. You just boot to DVD or USB drive or whatever, format the hard drive, and install Windows 7. Worked like a charm on mine.

Sounds good. Been a long time since I changed the boot from default. That was done in bios wasn't it?

Sounds good. Been a long time since I changed the boot from default. That was done in bios wasn't it?

Correct...all done in the BIOS. I think the problem people have is that they try running the Win7 setup from within Win8, and that's where they run into problems. It won't let you do that. But booting to a Win7 disk or USB install should work great. I've never had a problem doing that anyway. Heck, you could go all the way back to XP or Win3.1 or even DOS using that method. LOL!!

I have used Windows 8, but found that Windows 7 is more easy to use and more user friendly compared to Windows 8. I changed back to Windows 7 again.

This thread is still making me laugh.

Sorry Jan, I love you and all, fellow aussie, but... It's just... Windows 8... HAHAHAHAHAH!
531b94187015f6bcd86264497095c495.jpg

I use Windows 8 and Mac OS X. Have you got used to Windows 8 yet? Took me a while but love how it's a lot faster than 7.

John I don't need to see the windows 8 part now that I have start8. The machine is no faster that my previous one.

Hated windows 8 - However Windows 8.1... I've got used to it now and really like it :)
8.1 adds the start bar back - It only opens the tile menu however.

8.1 all the way. It's far faster than Windows 7 for me. I have it on my custom built gaming rig, my laptop and on my Nokia 925 phone (well that's win 8).

To be honest, if you want it a bit easier, just install Win8.1 .. you will get a start button which is ultimately useless :(

There are addons to install to give you a start button just like win7.

Installing win8 was the biggest mistake in my life so far ...

8.1 is no better than 8, in my opinion. Their lame attempt at restoring the "start button" is nothing more than a joke. The third party software "Start8" is the only saving grace that makes running Windows 8.X even remotely usable for me. It's all one huge disappointment.

I agree that the start button they added is a bit pointless. Hopefully we see more improvements soon, but I've already switched to Mac and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back