• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WHMCS vs ClientExec

CI-Theo

Hi There,

I have seen plenty of debates about this on the internet, but I would like some advice based on experience as opposed to comparing feature lists. Before I go into detail, I would like to make it clear that I am asking for opinions on WHMCS and ClientExec, and not Modernbill or any other billing software.

Currently, I run ClientExec - I don't have a problem with it, but I am interested in seeing why people have chosen WHMCS over ClientExec and vice-versa. If you are a client of a web host, and have used different hosts using both systems, then I would also like to hear from you!

I am particularly interested in:-

* Functionality
* Customer Experience
* Integration
* Bugs/Faults
* Ease of use (WHMCS from an admin perspective, both from a client perspective)

Thanks!

this is my opnion as I have used both and I am going to mark them down.

Functionality: They both work. However I had some issues with WHMCS see below.

Customer Experience: My customers from when I have used both have never had any complaints about either. So I would say good with both.

Integration: WHMCS can be integrated a lot better than client exec can. That being said im sure it can be done with clientexec.

Bugs/Faults: This is where its tricky. There are some faults with client exec and bugs with whmcs that I have noticed. [other than the random credits and such]. One thing that annoys me about client exec is the way coupons are setup and that there is no credits. However some issues that I had with WHMCS is that it would not do auto setups for gameservers. There was a glitch in the api that communicates with the tcadmin server at some point that caused it to fail when attempting to create the server. Or maybe it was user error but I could never get it to work.

Ease of use: I am working with a host right now that uses whmcs so I know the admin side of things is not to bad. It in my opinion is a bit more organized and at the same time not as organized as client exec [I know makes no sense] so the admin side of whmcs is not bad.

From a client perspective. I have been with a host that has used both whmcs and client exec. He switched recently due to some issues he had with the billing part of whmcs. But personally for the client side I like clientexec a lot more than whmcs.

Keep in mind the above is my personal opinion and some may think other. Thats why its a opinion

For Shared/Reseller hosting, I'd say that both will do fine and will work perfectly for you. But if you're planning to do VPS/Dedicated, WHMCS beats ClientExec all the way.

If you plan on selling domains as well as web hosting, I would recommend WHMCS. I tried using ClientExec and it just didn't let me add more than 1 domain per customer. I might have missed something but it was enough to make me go back to the trusted WHMCS.

Only used with whmcs and it is working great. No way to compare since I have experience with only one of the mentioned billing softwares.

I find WHMCS to be the best. I love the admin features it has, and the client features are organized well and easy to use. So far, none of my clients have complained about it. Also, for VPS/Dedicated services, WHMCS is the best to manage that.

Yea. I have had clientexec for 6 months, but now I have been using WHMcs since August and I like it alot better.

WHMcs trumps Clientexec IMO

WHMCS is more commonly used and resellers used to use it. They gust do not want look around and learn about other opportunities. And that not proves that WHMCS is the best one so far.

I love seeing this question :D

I have used clientexec about 3 years ago and a few months ago. I am currently using WHMCS for almost a total of a year now. I believe that both of the scripts have their pro's and con's. I will try to list all the pro's and cons that I believe will help you or a future user out.

ClientExec Info
I have noticed over the YEARS that Clientexec has been pretty much the top of the line when it comes to being affordable and its stability. The past year or so i've noticed that Clientexec has been working on new features which in my opinion is due to the rise of WHMCS.

Admin Side of CE PRO/Con's

• The Admin Area can be something you like or dislike. I personally was not really thrilled with the overall structure of the admin area.
  • I like how the implemented the use of server status software which provides a ton of information.
  • Tickets can be escalated automatically for whatever rule you create.
  • Great for Developer Work
  • Can view who's currently logged in (Staff and Client).
  • I do not like how you have to setup 20 different cron jobs.
  • Not extremely fast surfing through pages.
  • Order/Package Creator is not really to my standard.

Client side of CE Pro's & Cons
  • I personally like the fill of being in a separate environment which is not connect to the website theme.
  • Easy to manage your information.
  • Order form is extremely UGLY and needs a ton of work.

WHMCS Information
WHMCS has been one of the most talked about billing scripts over the past couple of years. The good thing with WHMCS is it seems to create features in which the users request. The majority of the features you see in WHMCS are due to the fact that users have either requested them on their forums or the feature request area at whmcs.com . I really do believe that this script will continue to grow, as long their clients continue to provide them with great feedback.

Admin Area Pro's/con's

• Fast and Easy to Navigate.
  • Easy to Search
  • Easy Cron job setup.
  • Customizable order forms.
  • Easy to integrate/develop new themes.
  • Does not have a future to escalate tickets with set rules.
  • HyperVM feature does not work fully (Suspension)
  • Ticket Importing will not work with certain control panels or requires root access (Plesk and Directadmin)

Client Area Pro's/Con's
  • Easy to manage information.
  • Can Add credit to account.
  • Add multiple users to access that account.
  • Order page is easy to use and customizable.
  • If its not integrated/customized it looks overused with other competitors.

In reality it all depends on what type of business you offer and how the script is going to be used. I would personally wait before making any decisions, as the new CE 3.2 should be released within the next few months. I am actually going to be viewing the CE 3.2 this Friday with the CE owner Alberto and I think this is going to be the update we all been waiting to see from ClientExec!

I will be back this weekend and let you all know how the preview went.

Hi There,

I have seen plenty of debates about this on the internet, but I would like some advice based on experience as opposed to comparing feature lists. Before I go into detail, I would like to make it clear that I am asking for opinions on WHMCS and ClientExec, and not Modernbill or any other billing software.

Currently, I run ClientExec - I don't have a problem with it, but I am interested in seeing why people have chosen WHMCS over ClientExec and vice-versa. If you are a client of a web host, and have used different hosts using both systems, then I would also like to hear from you!

I am particularly interested in:-

* Functionality
* Customer Experience
* Integration
* Bugs/Faults
* Ease of use (WHMCS from an admin perspective, both from a client perspective)

Thanks!

WHMCS is simple, very user friendly on client side and administration side.

Easy to integrate into your main site.

Never had any bugs that has effected running of your site.

My personal rating would be 10/10

Switched to WHMCS - My take

I just thought that I should let you know that I switched a few months ago from CE to WHMCS on the basis of your recommendations. Your advice and opinions were invaluable, so thanks for taking your time to assist me.

I spent a number of months with each product, and I must say that I prefer WHMCS as a whole. From a UI perspective, everything seems to be far more consistent and accessible, and templates can be created relatively painlessly.

The only thing that I miss about CE was the ability for a user to select how many months they wanted a discount to reoccur for - for example, I used to be able to offer a user 40% off for their first 12 months. Now, I can only offer them lifetime discounts or a discount for their selected payment term.

Overall, if you're looking to buy or lease a billing system license, I'd recommend going with WHMCS. When I'm dealing with pricing or supporting customers, it's always important for me to easily navigate around the site, and I must say that WHMCS beats CE hands down on this.

Thanks everyone!

Ubersmith is still the best solution for corporations and enterprise level businesses.
For the starting to mid-experienced web host, I would say that WHMCS has many more features than ClientExec. The pricing is also better.

I personally prefer ClientExec, I have used iPanel, phpcoin, WHMCS and ClientExec and found CE much easier to use, as for most of the functions released before about CE, they are improving and I believe that they are planning on adding a credits system to their next release.

ClientExec Hands Down.

We have been using WHMCS and are very happy with it.

Just a couple of things I would like to point out, MattG said:

HyperVM feature does not work fully (Suspension)

We are using the standard HyperVM module, providing you are using one of the recent versions of WHMCS there are no issues with the HyperVM module and suspension works fine. There are some additional options I would like but we can't all have everything

Ticket Importing will not work with certain control panels or requires root access (Plesk and Directadmin)

If your talking about email piping, it will work fine with any system providing you have access to pipe email (which is the same with most systems the important messages)

A few of the Pros for ClientExec you mentioned are also in WHMCS.

I have tried out ClientExec and the navigation in the admin area I believe is very poor compared to WHMCS and can therefore take time to find things, although if your using it all the time you will probably know where the pages are.

Client area wise its nothing special still not keen on the navigation but its better as there are a lot less pages the client can offer.

I would always use WHMCS over ClientExec mainly because of the poor navigation and modules.

ClientExec is defiantly the most cost effective solution if you are on a budget, however I firmly believe that WHMCS is the better billing system and you for sure should not go cheap on your BILLING system.

Back