• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WHMCS Vs BoxBilling

ritz

WHMCS is great. We all know it and love it. But does it really live up to all the hype given to it for the cost? Sure it's not really all that expensive. You can get the license for just under $16 a month, but there is stuff just as good for less.

Recently I've been giving BoxBilling a shot. It's Free / $5 for pro. I have to say I like it more than WHMCS. It's simple to use and runs great. Easy to modify and the extensions are nice as well. You can remove branding with the $5 pro license.

Your thoughts?

BoxBilling does look ok, but I still prefer WHMCS. The alternative for me would be either HostBill or Blesta.

Well I use WHMCS because it has so many features and the people I employ also like it too,

Boxbilling is still a good script and its free upto a certain limit but for $5.95 you can't go wrong, on my website we offer boxbilling to all our resellers free because its great value and user friendly.

It really depends on how do you see your project in the near future - WHMCS gives you extensive capabilities and its not the most popular billing/support software for nothing. I would definately choose it, regardless of the occasional bugs.

BoxBilling and Blesta both are decent options tho, they lack some options and flexibility, but for a small to medium businesses they can also be taken in consideration. Heard good things about Blesta myself, I intend to try it in more depth soon oldman2

22945555 186

We've been using WHMCS for a 3 years, and we don't have a plan to switch-over. Sure, boxbilling looks nice, but WHMCS is just No. 1 in billing software, except if you make your own custom one.

WHMCS is great, although, they seem to not be checking there script before they let the public use it, and then they have exploits in it...

BoxBilling might not be perfect, but because it does not have such a big customer base who knows have secure there script it??

HostBill, i wouldnt ever use, not even if they paid me, there always playing with the pricing structure, and its doomed to fail...

thought whmcs is costly i like whmcs very much.

WHMCS is not costly. It costs the same as a burger king meal for two people.

HostBill, i wouldnt ever use, not even if they paid me, there always playing with the pricing structure, and its doomed to fail...

I've been using HostBill for three years now with no issue. I wouldn't switch back to a garbage billing system like WHMCS again if you paid me to. All of the recent exploits plus the developers not caring at all when modules break is horrific.

Have a read here if you want to know what I mean.

Now I'm not saying HostBill is super secure or anything - it probably has a bunch of exploits as well. However, the exploit released for WHMCS on the third this month is just carelessness and incompetence at its finest.

HostBill is nice. Unfortunately, they keep playing the shell game with prices, etc. They can't seem to make up their mind, and prices/terms seem to change on a regular basis. No way I would ever use them because of that.

HostBill is nice. Unfortunately, they keep playing the shell game with prices, etc. They can't seem to make up their mind, and prices/terms seem to change on a regular basis. No way I would ever use them because of that.

I'm okay with the price changes. The way I see it they are a victim of their own success - exploding in popularity within the last year or two and struggling to keep up with the demand. Your billing system is an investment and a vital one at that - it will pay itself back over time. Without it your business can't function.

I would trust HostBill at this point in time over WHMCS simply because they have a better track record with exploits and the developer patches payment modules on the same day. If I was in the shoes of the OP (on the WHT thread linked above) then my business would have been over already. Two weeks with no transactions being processed and potentially months before a fix is released is not something to just gloss over. It's pathetic that WHMCS/John couldn't release a patched payment module within a reasonable time frame.

I just don't trust them as far as I can throw them. It would be like cPanel offering a license for $15/mo. Then the next month, getting rid of the monthly licenses and saying they only sell lifetime licenses for $1000. Then a couple months later they change it again. Wash and re-rinse. It just doesn't sit well with me, and in fact, it scares me a bit.

I've been in business a long time (not just hosting), and I just don't get a good feeling when dealing with a company like that. Not saying they're bad. In fact, I really like Hostbill. Tested it back in the day when they actually had monthly and trial licenses, and really liked the product. There's just something about how they handle things that doesn't sit well with me...I just have a gut feeling.

Not having prices published anywhere on their website really bothers me too. I hate companies like that. It just bothers me to the core. It's as if they're hiding something. They'll quote you one price and quote me another based on their mood. It's like the ultimate "New Low, Low Price!!!!" used car lot showdown, or mechanics playing the ol' switcheroo with women and the elderly. I just don't like it.

If you are looking paid billing software i prefer WHMCS .If you are looking free billing software i prefer boxbilling and THT :classic2:

So I was curious and decided to get a quick quote from the HostBill folks. To do everything I'm doing now (all the needed modules and plug-ins), I was quoted about $3500. $3500!! ROFL!!! I about fell out of my chair laughing. If I want to add another module of some kind in the future, it's another $200. Want to get some new order pages? Eh...$800.

What a joke.

So I was curious and decided to get a quick quote from the HostBill folks. To do everything I'm doing now (all the needed modules and plug-ins), I was quoted about $3500. $3500!! ROFL!!! I about fell out of my chair laughing. If I want to add another module of some kind in the future, it's another $200. Want to get some new order pages? Eh...$800.

What a joke.

Better then Ubersmith which is in the ballpark of $500/month these days for any decent sized operation.

If you don't think it's worth the money then don't buy it. TBH the colocation and IPAM modules in HostBill are worth more then $3500 for me.

It's not even in the same ballpark as ubsersmith as far as features, so it's really apples to oranges.

Don't plan on buying it at that price. Thought it would at least be reasonable, but nickel and diming you for every single module is just silly I'm afraid.

We've tried and used almost all of the major billing providers at one point or another--WHMCS, ClientExec & Blesta--and while impressive for a free/low-cost product we were far from impressed/blown away with BoxBilling, which is about robust enough for a host with < 10-15 clients.

I've used WHMCS for years now and I like it. It's a good piece of software, but I don't like the fact that it's targeted by hackers constantly and exploits keep being discovered.

Back