• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which is better?

DSL more secure?? You're nuts. Cable is faster for the price on both upload and download and you get a static IP. DSL is slow and you get a static IP {{Edit....umm, I meant dyanamic IP}}.

On average, you get get either for about $39 per month. However, the cable will be at least 500k both upload and download...whereas DSL is 256 down and about half that for upload. Of course, with DSL you can pay up to about $200 per month and get sometimes as high as a 2mbps connection.

With the phone companies being larger and richer than the cable companies, it's only logical to realize they have deeper advertising pockets and use that to slam cable and make it seem DSL is better. I have cable, my mother in law next door has DSL. I have also had DSL before. I would never go back to DSL, and she wishes she hasnt.. I have experience with both, and I am simply telling you which one is better.

DSL more secure than cable...LOL. That's a good one :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Incorrect. ADSL gives you a dynamic IP address, so you are wrong on that point, and in Argentina it is faster than cable. Since the conversion rate here is going through the rough, the $80 Pesos paid only equals about $25 (USD)/Monthly. I get 512K out of ADSL, and it is highly secure.

Webdude, what have you been smoking? Cable sucks ---. The ADSL I use right now is blazing fast, and I would never switch to the lousy cable service they got here.

Last edited:
Well I have only used cable and I haven't had any problems. No experience with xDSL so I can't comment

Originally posted by Akalon
ADSL is different to DSL isn't it?

Not quite. ADSL, SDSL, VDSL all belong in the same category under DSL. The best of the three is ADSL, it may not be the fastest but it is the cheapest.

Adding to that, no, ADSL is DSL, but the reverse isn't true. There are many kinds of DSL. ADSL is asymmetric, meaning the upload and download speeds are different. It's the most common form of DSL and one of the cheapest.

I have ADSL. I don't mind it. It has been down like twice in the 3 years I have had it, not bad. Supposedly, DSL can be faster than cable at peak hours, but if you like to do a lot of gaming late at night, cable will give a sweet ping. I might get cable soon though. I think you get a better deal for TV cable if you buy internet cable too from them. My mom wants a better cable package so she gets more hockey games. Both are about 100X better(literally) than 56K.

I have a 512k down ADSL connection, and it rocks.

I will pay about S$149/month if Jan 2003 and above, I pay s$90/month right now

Well ok Gian. I pay $39.95 a month for my sweet 1.5mbps cable connection. That is both download and upload. Go see if you can get the same thing with dsl... It is extremely unlikely you can get a dsl with those kinds of speeds on both upload and download...and to even get close to that either way...your gonna pay a lot more than you would for the same thing in cable...

Security on either one is a farce. Please do tell how DSL is more secure...perhaps because you dont get a dynamic IP? When you are connected to the internet, it's your responsibility to keep yourself secure...not your internet provider's..

I have acable and i pay about $12 a month USD. I get atleast 500kbps but have went over 1.5mbps on a regular basis. I have went over 2.5 mbps per so for the price id say im getting a hell of a deal

The DSL is 1.5down 512up The cable around here does not specify a speed. I will be paying $40 for it, if I do get people to pay for a host I will pay for buisness dsl which here is 2mbps-6.5mbps and a 1.5-2up for $180 a month. I am doing this for fun and if I do charge people to run off of my line it will only be friends and such...

Oh and you are all wrong about the IP you can specify wether you want a dynamic Ip or Static some places it is free and some charge more for the static the DSL company that I am going to use gives it for free.

TWC (Time Warner Cable) has a galaxy package and you get all of the channels regular, hbo, cinemax, everything a total of almost 300 channels and and road runner and all i pay extra for is pay per view. It costs $107 a month. The normal price for all channels is $95 a month so it works out to $12 for road runner...:D And at first I got the first month free and after that the 5 months after that was $100 a month so I guess I paid $5 for road runner then. I had road runner and cable prior to this and road runner was seerate $34.95 because I locked it at that and then they raised new subscribers to $37.95 then $39.95 and now its $44.95. So I guess I got a hell of a deal.

Originally posted by guitarnerd
The DSL is 1.5down 512up The cable around here does not specify a speed. I will be paying $40 for it, if I do get people to pay for a host I will pay for buisness dsl which here is 2mbps-6.5mbps and a 1.5-2up for $180 a month. I am doing this for fun and if I do charge people to run off of my line it will only be friends and such...

Oh and you are all wrong about the IP you can specify wether you want a dynamic Ip or Static some places it is free and some charge more for the static the DSL company that I am going to use gives it for free.

I have a dynamic ip that never changes unless I release it....;)

Back