• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

which cpu is best ?

sEgAgEs

I can get these server for about the same price.

Intel P3 800
Intel Celeron 1ghz
AMD Duron 1ghz

All other specs (RAM , ...) are the same.

Now for home use I know I would take a Duron for sure ... but for a webserver I'm not really sure which one I should take.

Anyone has some advice ?

Originally posted by Robert
Who builds servers with AMD?
Lot's of places. And that all started because of Rackshack.

Actually, I would build a server with an AMD cpu... an XP or MP though, just not a Duron.

thx alot.

Can a P3 handle alot ?

I don't want to start a webhosting company. It's just to host 1 big website & a forum.

The sites gets about 10000 unique visits/day and about 25000 hits. the forum only gets visited by a small part of these visitors.
I have often about "30 active members in the last 15mins" on my invision forum.

Is a P3 800 with 512RAM surely enough ?

The P3 800 could handle that easily. Even the Duron server could handle that without a problem. Pair it with a 7200PRM drive if at all possible, as that will help with the I/O activity created by the forum.

I personally sleep better at night by using Intel CPUs.

:D

Originally posted by Chicken

I'd have to highly doubt that it all started with RS but...
I'm definately not saying it started with RS, but after RS started offering Duron servers lots of others places started to as well trying to compete with their prices.

That's swell, Chicken. Really, it is.

Lot's of places. And that all started because of Rackshack.
I'm definately not saying it started with RS...

OK. Let's try that again. Before RS started offering them, other places did offer Duron servers. So take note of my second quote, it did not start with RS.

However, after RS started offering Duron servers, (refer to first quote here) lot's of other places started offering Duron servers to try and compete with RS's prices.

To sum this up, RS wasn't the first to use Duron servers, but lot's of other places started using Duron servers because of RS.

I think I got myself covered now, but I also think I just confused myself even more... :confused2

LOL! Well, for the sake of our sanity (sanities? sanitys?), I think we'll just say you've covered yourself now :D I know what you mean.

Originally posted by Chicken
LOL! Well, for the sake of our sanity (sanities? sanitys?), I think we'll just say you've covered yourself now :D I know what you mean.

Chicken is a quick one ;)

id definately go with the amd, people usually pick pentiums cause they here a lot about em, but amd's outperform pentiums by quite a bit, a person i know has 2 servers running, he trying to see wich he should use. He has an amd duron 1Ghz with 512 megs of ram and a 40 gig drive, and a pentium 3 1Ghz with 512 megs of ram and a 40 gig drive, and the pentium cpu often hangs, its slower the loading time of the page is slower and when he used them for a game server the pentium rashed after an hour, and the amd didnt crash at all...the pentium was also slower.

I'd go for an Athlon if I could. They rule as long as they're cooled properly and they're a good deal cheaper to purchase than pentium 3's too. I read a lot of posts about Durons repeatedly flaking out, so I dunno, might just be a pure Rackshack thing, as it mostly seems to be about their Duron servers.

I Think pentium 3
I Think pentium 4 Is More Of A Gaming CPU If You Were Getting A Gaming Server pentium 4 Deff. I Dont Know pentium 4 Servers Are Out Yet Though :p

Back