• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which cellphone?

heymrdj

The Debian Lover
NLC
Me and my brother are getting our first 2 line cell phone plan. National Freedon 900 minute plan (2 yr. agreement). We have pretty much settled on the Kyocera Strobes since review sites show that Alltel's Strobes with Bluetooth are the best. We also want to add the Axcess plan later when we can afford more. We are major texters in the evening so a QWERTY keyboard is definitely a huge advantage over the crappy digit system.

http://www.shopalltel.com/product/browse.htm?pgId=100&tNav=1&t=1

I'll take most of those phones, however, i would like their final rebated cost to be under $50 a piece. So if you guys have some exprience with any of the phones listed there, then please share.

Me and my brother don't have much experience with cells seeing as we just have two base model Nokias from Tracfone.

I actually work for another company, that uses the same marketing as Alltel.

I can assure you, the Strobe has bad RF. Basically, the service on that handset will generally be worse than say, a Nokia or Motorola. Infact, we've suggested to our company that we should completely rid of Kyocera's, as they're generally not a good phone.

LG's, Nokia's and Motorola's are generally good phones, however, stay away from the RAZR. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. My wife is on her second one now, and it's starting to fade out, like the first did.

I don't have experience with Samsung, I'm sure someone else could fill you in on them.

- Lucas

I actually work for another company, that uses the same marketing as Alltel.

I can assure you, the Strobe has bad RF. Basically, the service on that handset will generally be worse than say, a Nokia or Motorola. Infact, we've suggested to our company that we should completely rid of Kyocera's, as they're generally not a good phone.

LG's, Nokia's and Motorola's are generally good phones, however, stay away from the RAZR. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them. My wife is on her second one now, and it's starting to fade out, like the first did.

I don't have experience with Samsung, I'm sure someone else could fill you in on them.

- Lucas

Well my Aunt's Strobe sounded really good, and we are in a low signal area (in a valley about 25mi. from the main town). Her's is a few months old.

I heard that LG's are pieces of crap :p. They die too easily.

I really like Nokia. Both me and my uncle have had them take 3 story drops onto concrete inside of their hip holders, and they both function as if they were brand new. In fact thats one of the Nokia phones I'm using now with tracfone.

Well my Aunt's Strobe sounded really good, and we are in a low signal area (in a valley about 25mi. from the main town). Her's is a few months old.

I heard that LG's are pieces of crap :p. They die too easily.

I really like Nokia. Both me and my uncle have had them take 3 story drops onto concrete inside of their hip holders, and they both function as if they were brand new. In fact thats one of the Nokia phones I'm using now with tracfone.

Like I'd said, we don't have a good impression of Kyocera around here, but there are some people that live and die by them.

LG has come a long way since a couple years back. Their phones are very reliable now.

I currently use a Motorola, and like Motorola. I'd suggest them, but Alltel doesn't have much of a Motorola selection.

- Lucas

- Lucas

I am on my second Razr as well. Thinking about buying blackberry's with internet access.

We got the two Strobes 2 days ago. So far very sweet phones, and better reception then most.

LG's are ----ing bricks.

A few months ago when I rolled my Jeep Cherokee, the window shattered on my side and my phone (LG VX3300) happily flew through my car's new orifice. After climbing out, my friend and I were looking for our phones and noticed it happened to be underneath my door (my Jeep landed sideways) contently lodged between the metal and a large square of random concrete.

It still worked and was only scratched, which was made worse prying it out from the phone-sandwich.

About two months ago I dropped it into a toilet at Barnes and Noble Booksellers. Since the toilet water was clear, I reached in to 'cop dat', turned it off, and took out the battery. After a sufficient drying time (~2 hours), it was glitchy (ex: the volume buttons on the side brought up the text messaging and voice memo menus). After about a day, when it was completely dry, it worked just fine, and still does.

Comparatively, my Motorola V180 I had about two years ago was fragile. I fell on it skateboarding in Buckhead one day (it was in my pocket) and the outer screen cracked. About 4 months later, the inner screen cracked in my sleep and the phone ceased to function except for lighting up when I turned it on, and then not lighting up when I turned it off (adurr).

Moral of the story: Go LG, OG, Yeah.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update that these Strobes are wonderful. The bluetooth is great too (I believe only Alltel Strobes have this feature though). Highly recommend the Alltel version of this phone :).

Back