• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats your favorite HTML editor?

I use...

I use AceHTML ^_^ It fixes your errors, helps you if your a newbie, but allows you to write your own html without editor help if you like... I have to say that is my fav. Other good ones are: homesite, evrsoft, dreamweaver, html beauty... They are pretty nice ^_^ I don't care for dreamweaver much as most people though.... it always caused me errors v_v Maybe it's just my silly computer =^.^=

moo,
CW

- Notepad all the way for raw/editing code
- Dreamweaver for large projects (only if it didn't lag my computer so much)
- 1st Page (based on homesite but not a wysiwyg editor)
- CuteHTML when I'm nuts

Well my fav is one that I'm working on now (Visual X Page), but since its still a work in progress I use Dreamweaver 3 and UltraEdit-32, and Somtimes Visual InterDev 6.

Originally posted by tim2
Real men use Dreamweaver and UltraEdit

Dreamweaver might be for for men. But hardcore webdesigning geeks (like me) use plain old text editors. No table makers, no tag buttons. Just PURE code, no help needed.

HTML Editor

I like notepad and 1st page (this is great software for free)

I use AceHTML 4 Freeware and 1stPage (both HotDog Professional look-a-like)

And notepad!

If I have to do very very very complex table(s) I may pre-create them by using WYSIWYG editor and copy-paste it.

I used Dreamweaver from it's very first version and must say that I still need to find one that comes even close.

I use notepad for coding PHP as that is one point dreamweaver needs to improve on. Notepad however is not suitable for large projects.

If you are working on a large project that needs fast updates, one uses templates. With a wysiwyg editor, you open up the template, click where you want the update done, make the update, safe and thats it... with notepad you have to spend some time to find out in exactly between which TD tag it has to fit. If you make extensive use of tables, that's pretty annoying and time consuming.

Originally posted by jvv
If you are working on a large project that needs fast updates, one uses templates. With a wysiwyg editor, you open up the template, click where you want the update done, make the update, safe and thats it... with notepad you have to spend some time to find out in exactly between which TD tag it has to fit. If you make extensive use of tables, that's pretty annoying and time consuming.

Save the html file with no content as Template.txt and there's your template.

If you can't remember where to type do the logical thing:

Code:
<!-- this is a message to self. this code will not 
show up on the html output. with these, i can leave 
myself messages as to what goes where. this also 
saves a lot of time. -->

was that too hard?

I use 1st Page 2000 If anyone wants a copy email kicker234@yahoo.com (it is a freeware software html editor)

Originally posted by Nick
Originally posted by jvv

What he meant was that with Dreamwever, your HTML files are linked to a template....create the shell for a page, then make all your pages from that in the future....

Then, say you want to add another option to a menu, or change a graphic or something like that...you edit the template file, and it automatically updates all the rest. I have a site going with 100+ archived newsletters, and when I changed the layout of the site a few weeks back, it took me all of half an hour thanks to the templates....

Try that in notepad...

Originally posted by puDDs
Originally posted by Nick
Originally posted by jvv

What he meant was that with Dreamwever, your HTML files are linked to a template....create the shell for a page, then make all your pages from that in the future....

Then, say you want to add another option to a menu, or change a graphic or something like that...you edit the template file, and it automatically updates all the rest. I have a site going with 100+ archived newsletters, and when I changed the layout of the site a few weeks back, it took me all of half an hour thanks to the templates....

Try that in notepad...

Now why would you wanna do that on a 100+ page site? Do the intelligent thing and use php: <?virtual("/include/file.html")?> or ssi: <!--#include virtual="/include/file.html"-->. And if you don't have access to either, get a better webhost.

Now why would you wanna do that on a 100+ page site? Do the intelligent thing and use php: <?virtual("/include/file.html")?> or ssi: <!--#include virtual="/include/file.html"-->. And if you don't have access to either, get a better webhost.

Two reasons....first, the template is an outline, not just a menu on the side (see link - http://www.newsfromtheass.com/archives.html). And second, ssi is slower than straight code. And since its so simple to make changes, I would rather keep it in code. I have no access to php, or I would use that, but for another use...

Back