• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats the best option for hosting a forum?

CureCancer

Do i need to start with vps? i did years ago and had to many problems with godaddys system, do i really need to kick start with a vps? and what company is the most secured and affordable?

No, you don't need a VPS. Just start out with a basic shared hosting option. If you forum becomes too popular, you can always upgrade to a VPS down the road. A VPS at this point in the game would just be a waste of money on your part.

VPS is an ideal for forum if you have huge database, heavy traffic and of course budget. Otherwise, start up with a shared hosting package is sufficient. You can upgrade your hosting when it is required.

Thank you for the advice, who would you say would be the best choice for shared hosting? godaddy has to many downtimes!

I've heard only good reviews about Hostgator. You can also post a hosting request on this forum, you might find a good deal, discount coupons, etc.

You need to check some of the latest reviews over on WHT. :)

If you mean the first result from Google, it was the OP fault. He did not had the patience to work with Technical Support so they would enable the settings required for the scripts to run.
They have some functions blocked for security purpose, but once you talk to them they enable it for your account.

host gator is one of the worst in my experience, any other suggestions? i prefer to go with a big company, you hear so many horror stories with small companies or resellers that i dont want to risk it

Start with regular shared hosting then you can upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated Server later on. As others have said, it would be a waste of money by going straight for a VPS, unless you were doing a huge marketing campaign.

Post a request thread and I'm sure you'll get a lot of offers from hosts around here, myself included.

if i were you i would buy a dedicated and spending all day by advertising the site everywhere and make a good content of your forum

VPS is the best choice to conduct a forum . But as a starter , you may go with share hosting first. But do remember it risky as well because you need to upgrade your hosting in the right time. Because a downtime will keep your members away from your forum .
Go with a share hosting until do have certain amount of active traffics then upgrade to VPS.

If you mean the first result from Google, it was the OP fault. He did not had the patience to work with Technical Support so they would enable the settings required for the scripts to run.
They have some functions blocked for security purpose, but once you talk to them they enable it for your account.

No, I mean the tons of downtime they have been having lately on the network, the overloaded servers, etc.

Think, if the budget allows it is reasonable to get a VPS solution at once in order to avoid any downtimes conecteв with upgrade need.

Think, if the budget allows it is reasonable to get a VPS solution at once in order to avoid any downtimes conecteв with upgrade need.

What? Who said anything about downtimes with an upgrade? You can upgrade plans at any time with no downtime. A good host could move your content to a VPS also with no (or extremely little) downtime by first setting low TTL values days in advance, copying the content over, and then changing the DNS.

It is possible to get some sort of basic English proficiency requirements added to the forum rules here?

I wouldn't have thought a forum would need anything more than a shared solution unless it was absolutely huge.

It doesn't. People will try and tell you that you need a VPS or some other nonsense, but you really don't, unless it's extremely popular.

It is possible to get some sort of basic English proficiency requirements added to the forum rules here?
Agreed, there should be some basic rules against obvious sloppy writing when one can see the person does not care. I also don't like it when people are using abbreviations as more often than not I don't have the foggiest what they are talking about. But there are exceptions for me when those with English as a second language are obviously trying really hard to get their message across. Some of their writing is very cute as well.
:)

Back