• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What's in your computer repair toolkit?

[JSH]John

JSHosts.com
NLC
As well as hosting, I also do a lot of computer repair (comes in handy when working with servers too!). Does anyone else here do computer repair? If you do, what do you take with you, or what would you take?

Here's what I always take, although it can change depending on what the customer says the problem is.

• Screwdriver with separate bits
  • Thermal paste
  • Can of compressed air
  • Ethernet cable
  • WiFi Dongle
  • Flash drive with different Operating Systems (Windows, Ubuntu, memtest86 etc - Thanks to YUMI)

I also take my iPhone 5 to save notes, order replacement parts if needed and take payment by card.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same as yourself - the can of compressed air is a must, the amount of homes/businesses I've went to that have keyboards that look like they have the plague inside them is crazy!

We do a fair bit of break fix for clients so I'll usually have a few hard drives of different sorts and always take a computer/server of similar spec in-case of the need to give them a loan whilst we take it back to repair.

Have to agree with the keyboards part! Most keyboards I see are full of ash, crisps and bits of food! Not sure if people realise keyboards don't like to eat :p

I am not a fan of computer hardware repair/ replacement and am not a fan of IT, but people bundle all that with what I am good at, programming, so I end up doing a lot anyway.

I bought this 45-Piece kit that includes
Reversible Ratchet Driver with 21-Piece Bit & Socket Set
6" #1 Phillips Screwdriver
Spare Parts Box
Reversible 1/8" & #0 Mini Screwdriver (With Pocket Chip)
9 Hex Key Set: 1/20", 1/16", 5/64", 3/32", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64", 5/32", 3/16"
5" Long Nose Pliers
5" Wire Cutter / Stripper
Anti-Static Wrist Strap
IC Insertion-Extraction Clipper (for 14-48 Pin ICs)
Three Prongs Holder
Tweezers
Black Zipper Case

it was pretty useful from time to time actually.

What about what software you use for your repair? I always carry around Malwarebytes, CCleaner, burned copies of Windows 7 (legal, of course. I'm a subscriber to MSDN) and AVG free antivirus. These usually clear up slow computers and hundreds of malware that is detected on computers!

i have used mac now for about 5 or 6 years, and i cant recall ever needing to fix any of them. before my mac though, i had crew drivers for my pc, replacement parts just laying around ready to be used and copies of multiple OS's to do a re-install.

i have used mac now for about 5 or 6 years, and i cant recall ever needing to fix any of them. before my mac though, i had crew drivers for my pc, replacement parts just laying around ready to be used and copies of multiple OS's to do a re-install.
I've never had to repair a Mac, but have had to do a lot of restores on iPad's and iPhone's because customers have forgot passwords. Most seem to have Windows PC's and Laptops, so that could be why.

What about what software you use for your repair? I always carry around Malwarebytes, CCleaner, burned copies of Windows 7 (legal, of course. I'm a subscriber to MSDN) and AVG free antivirus. These usually clear up slow computers and hundreds of malware that is detected on computers!
I'll list the software I use soon, or might even create a new thread for that. I usually carry around a lot of software on flash drives since DVD/CD's are easily scratched.

Back