• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What stops Internet from being faster?

xicex

What prevents Internet from being faster?
I'm thinking if the speed of light is so fast, why isn't the Internet faster?

Is it the ISP resources? Switches? Routers? I'm not even sure what switches do or are for. Other hardware? CPU power?

Infrastructure? Amount of fiber-optic/copper wire laid down?

Internet speed is limited by the ISP. What prevents them from being capable of providing very high speed Internet at low cost?

What allows the advancement of Internet speed?

For example the development of higher speeds such as OC-192 or OC-768?

Just a few years ago, there was no such thing.

I don't believe that optical fibers were just recently discovered.

What changes to the infrastructure would have to be made for less expensive, home Internet? (as in Japan, Korea, etc)

Last edited:
It is basically exactly what you said, infrastructure.

Imagine a Highway with no cars where your free to do drive as fast as you want, theres nothing to stop you doing so.
Now, other people hear of the Highway and also start using it.
Because theres more cars, you cant go as fast.
As time goes on, more and more cars come onto the Highway and as a result you have to go slower and slower until your barely moving at all, or the Government decides to upgrade Highway.
Problem is, the highway costs money, and who pays for that?
The people who use it.

So basically if you want better internet, somebody has to pay for the infrastructure behind it, and that cost is passed on to the consumer.

It all depends on the cabling. For example, I'm with an ADSL2+ ISP that allows you to get speeds of up to 24MB. Because of the cabling I only get 18MB - 19MB.

When the government decides to invest money in upgrading our internet infrastructure we'll see some decent speeds in the UK. It won't be anytime soon though.

Actually, BT is upgrading their lines to cable, and have been for awhile. Just like Virgin keep upgrading theirs. Something like 2010-2012 or something it should all be ready. I'll try and find the artciles on it. I know I heard stuff about it years back but I've not heard much update on it.

If you take care of your computer, your Internet will be faster as well. I removed crap on a computer that had 650 instances of spyware, adware, & trojans. How fun...

i think is capability of handle great amount of data, ok light travels at 187.500 milles per second. ok the distance isnt the problem is the hardware to process. just imagine a single fiber optic can handle over 150,000 phone lines. awesome.

We don't allow this kind of analytical thought at FWS. Back into your cages before I bring out the pepper spray.

We don't allow this kind of analytical thought at FWS. Back into your cages before I bring out the pepper spray.
:lol:

As people have said, the infastructure. I don't see the point in opticial, it has the sligh advantage of speed/capacity but what about when it gets into the home which is copper? BAM it's all lost.

Back