• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is the purpose of....

Think of it this way. You have one html page that is 3k, plus the 50k of graphics on that page. When a visitor to your website goes to that page, then they download 53 kilobytes of information. That 53k is a part of your total bandwidth. Every hit(visit) you get, it adds up. So even if you have a 53k page, you get 10 visits, all of the sudden you have used 530k of transfer(bandwith). Get 100 visits, and you've used 5300k worth of transfer (Or 5.3 megs).

I don't know if that helps, of was even what you were asking. Hopefully it at least made sense.

It costs money to transfer data I'm guessing, so that's why you're paying for your internet service. And that's also the reason nearly all hosts put a limit on users' bandwidth use, simply because it eats up money. The people who offer "unlimited" bandwidth are insane idoits and really good people. :) Those kinda people are gonna recieve a hell of a bill if they have lots of traffic...

[ADD]
The other reason you're paying for your internet connections is because your ISP wants to make some $$$, obviously.

Hmm... LeX is talking about your ISP bandwidth while Lucifer is talking about Webhost bandwidth. Interesting. I wonder what the topic starter really meant.

Originally posted by LeX
It costs money to transfer data I'm guessing, so that's why you're paying for your internet service. And that's also the reason nearly all hosts put a limit on users' bandwidth use, simply because it eats up money. The people who offer "unlimited" bandwidth are insane idoits and really good people. :) Those kinda people are gonna recieve a hell of a bill if they have lots of traffic...

[ADD]
The other reason you're paying for your internet connections is because your ISP wants to make some $$$, obviously. [/B]
Uh, Coolin? I was talking about webhost bandwidth and ISP bandwidth...
Since I have no idea what Cosmoslayer really wanted to know (s/he didn't exactly explain) so I tried to explain what bandwidth is in both webhost bandwidth and ISP bandwidth. This way I'll appear real helpful to the newbies... ;)

Originally posted by LeX
Uh, Coolin? I was talking about webhost bandwidth and ISP bandwidth...
Since I have no idea what Cosmoslayer really wanted to know (s/he didn't exactly explain) so I tried to explain what bandwidth is in both webhost bandwidth and ISP bandwidth. This way I'll appear real helpful to the newbies... ;)
Whoops. I must have misinterpreted your post. Sorry :blush: <-- How the heck do you do a blush smilie?

Also... Appearances can be decieving... ;)

:eek: (quote this to see - or if you don't want to go through the trouble, it's : o without the space)

Back