• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is bandwidth?

~pEnGuIn~

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but since it's so stupid, y'all probably know the answer. But what is bandwidth and like how is it measured?

~Bethany T.

Bandwidth is how much data you can transfer in a second. I believe its usually measured in bits, with a prefix (kilo,mega,giga,tera etc). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw - most webhosting sites will get this mixed up with data-transfer, which is the amount of data your host (or physical limitations) will allow you to send in a certain amount of time (usually monthly).

ok... so how much is sufficient for a site that's html files take about 3-5 mb of space and other files take about 5-7 mb of space and usually gets no more than 30 visitors a day?

~Bethany T.

Let say your site is 10mb big,

10*30*30=9000mb of data transfer a month.

Thats a rough estimate if your visitors download all the files and visit all the html pages.

Hmm... though chances are they won't visit ALL the pages...

Thanks for giving me an idea of how to estimate it....

~Bethany T.

9000 megabytes or megabits?? I would assume megabytes according to your calculation,

1 GB of data-transfer would be more than enough. I know fr a fact not every visitor is going to download 10 MB or even close to it.

With reference to bandwidth in general.

If you are buying a shared hosting package it will most likely be 'x' GB/month. However if you are buying co-location space it may be measured in 'x' MBit/second.

*X where the the number would be. e.g. 2

Originally posted by Bruce
But they won't, so there's no need to worry about hypotheticals.
well what your saying is also a hypothetical, but it is more likely that yours is correct.

Originally posted by rochen
With reference to bandwidth in general.

If you are buying a shared hosting package it will most likely be 'x' GB/month.
Which is data-transfer, not bandwdith. Bandwidth is always measure in bits per second.

Originally posted by Bruce
Which is data-transfer, not bandwdith. Bandwidth is always measure in bits per second.

I know. :)

However in recent years companies seem to refer to bandwidth/data transfer as the same thing.

Sorry for any confusion. ;)

Back