• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What does your site use?

What is your say made from?

• pure html

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • php

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • cgi

• asp

• Total voters
Originally posted by Hayama-kun
I still disagree about the mySQL, unless you can benchmark both on the same machine with Apache, mod_perl and Zend/PHPA, we can't really tell. :confused2
I really dont think that perl works with sql deamons servers like php is :confused2
<->
I allways wanted to know, is perl can work with other databses ??

If it can't in it's current state, then just take a trip to cpan.org.

Last edited:
no doubt that php and perl is better than asp
but asp have one main benfit
i don't known if this is true everywhere, but most employers in my area are more interested in looking for people w/ asp (and coldfusion) knowledges

CF costs a lot to purchase now, doesn't seem logical.
...companies doesn't really care, they like wasting money and they got the money to do it

Originally posted by megapuzik
PHP isnt better then PERL, and PERL isnt better then PHP (:)confused: ))
PHP is great
PERL is great
[ASP sucks :biggrin2: ]
PHP can do the same thing like PERL (in server side scripting) and PERL can do the same thing like PHP. (:)confused: ))
so whats the point you ask ??
there is no point, use whatever you want....
I agree but I've found it easier to learn php so thats why I like it. More sites seem to use it too. Just my opinions and I'm not trying to start a war with perl fans.

Originally posted by wm2k1

...companies doesn't really care, they like wasting money and they got the money to do it
Not these days. Companies in my area are tightening the belts around spending, and using CF would be foolish. What area are you talking about? :confused:

Companies in my area are tightening the belts around spending, and using CF would be foolish.
...from ur profile...u r only 15...have u actually seen or know what's going on in the workplace?
the company i currently work for and companies before that are very wasteful from what i c

...also the economy only drop about 0.1% and that is hardly anything compared w/ other countries during the 90s in Eastern Europe, Japan, South Eastern Asia

and so far the economy haven't affected my company at all, employee numbers went from 25 to 200 in the last 18 months

What area are you talking about?
Northern VA ... second top technology center in the country (hq of AOL)
and ASP and ColdFusion are more preferred here by companies ... eventhough its not reliable nor cheap

...from ur profile...u r only 15...have u actually seen or know what's going on in the workplace?
the company i currently work for and companies before that are very wasteful from what i c
I've seen quite a number of companies use ASP, none of them use CF. They did throw away lots and lots of equipment and software all the time, but that was before. The area I'm talking about is Lower Manhattan.

Originally posted by wm2k1

well...that may be y ur area is so affected by the economy
because of 9/11
Before then, they were cutting down on wasteful spending too. :confused2

CF and ASP sucks, main reason, it's only available for winblows servers(I know of apache_asp but it sucks). I know ASP, I know some php and some Perl. I like php more than perl because I know more of it than perl. But I'm sure I'll find pratical use for php and perl.

all languages have their right to exist. it always depends on the availability - for example if you got only a server which supports perl, then you have to use it. I just had to re-write a php script in perl, because my php server is way to slow. besides it depends on what your server can do. I installed zend, mod_perl and fastcgi on my server, so it can serve cgi as fast as php. besides, if you try to use the perl isapi module, it will become fast as hell. but if your server isn't configured properly, then of course perl will be pretty slow. and I must agree with mindrash about ascii mode- I also forget to change the mode and then sit for two hours and think why the script produces the damn errors. it's true that perl and php are very similar, but in my opinion php is easier to learn - if you know how to write simple html source code and javascript, it's a question of days to learn php.

it seems also to be a question of prestige what you use. on many forums people using asp are really discriminated against. I dislike asp too, but not because of its abilities (in fact, it's as good as any other language), but because Microsoft tries to make so much money with it - on the other hand perl and php are free. the same nonsense with coldfusion - who's willing to pay for the extra coldfusion server? and a company can't simply use a stolen copy.
and asp is available for all platforms and servers - check out chilisoft asp module or instantasp 2 module. not all functions will work on all operational systems, but still vbs asp will work on all operational systems - linux or whatever and on all servers. and apache asp works also on all operational systems - even on win98 - i tested it. the problem with vbs asp is that it is expensive if you use it as the module - 500 dollars for chilisoft and 1000 for instantasp module. which sucks of course and shows why people don't use asp - because it's too expensive. I installed apache asp, because it's free, but don't have money for the chilisoft module to make my apache server understand vbscript asp. that's why it's mostly businesses which use asp - they got the money

Last edited:
PHP

Hi,

LOL, I love reading arguments about "is a better than b"!

A good point was made, CGI is not a language, you cant pregram in CGI. CGI is a protocol if I can say that, a way of communicating like. You can write CGI in any language I guess, PHP,PERL,C, etc

Personally, I prefer PHP. It is reputed to be faster than PERL for serving webpages, but this I can't verify. I just find it easier to use, and it is nicely integrated with many things like MySQL. Its embedded nature makes it easy to use in a web serving environment. (Yes, I know about PERLScript, using the PERL language in a very similar manner to ASP, its very nice actually )

But i'm quite happy doing PERL, or anything else for that matter!

Thankx,
Mark

Originally posted by WRFan
asp are really discriminated against. I dislike asp too, but not because of its abilities (in fact, it's as good as any other language), but because Microsoft tries to make so much money with it - on the other hand perl and php are free. the same nonsense with coldfusion - who's willing to pay for the extra coldfusion server?

I agree, ASP and Cold Fusion are good tools, I have used and liked CF very much. However they cost money, alot of money. Its not worth paying all the time to upgrade and maintain a development environment. The only reason I don't do ASP is because they tend to run off Access 2000/SQL Server database, and I find it difficult to administer remotely without sufficent server access.

Thankx,
Mark

well i use a mixture of php and cgi for my site because cgi is better if you dont have a host with mysql. like i would use vbb to make a new forum but i think it only runs using mysql so i might use ikonboard or ubb. but php is the best if you just want to make your site eassier to update.

Forgive me, but I don't see what the one has to do with the other. If you want to use PHP but have no MySQL access, why not just use PHP with a flat-file database? If you want to use Perl (Perl<>CGI, grrr) and MySQL, then why not do just that?

...also (I forgot to mention) this poll is really a little cockeyed since, no matter if you use PHP, Perl, ASP, or anything else, your site is still ultimately made in HTML.

Originally posted by Dusty
...also (I forgot to mention) this poll is really a little cockeyed since, no matter if you use PHP, Perl, ASP, or anything else, your site is still ultimately made in HTML.
I allready said that :p

Back