• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What does your site use?

What is your say made from?

• pure html

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • php

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • cgi

• asp

• Total voters
That's just the beginning. :devious2:

Can PHP [not GTK, that's seperate] be used to write actual programs, rather than just pages? i.e. I've seen someone actually write a Perl AIM bot and store its data in a mySQL database :p

I don't like PHP because it integrates itself within HTML pages. Simple. Some people may like that, but I find it rather annoying. You can also do #!/usr/bin/php, but what's the point? :devious2:

Uh Hayama?
Everyone knows Perl always has a plethora of errors, you don't need to worry about uploading in ASCII, MySQL is more easily accessible that Perl, you should know that!

And PHP is new, its hip, it kicks Perls ---!

nuff said

Originally posted by MindRash
Everyone knows Perl always has a plethora of errors, you don't need to worry about uploading in ASCII, MySQL is more easily accessible that Perl, you should know that!
Am I supposed to make heads or tails from that? :confused2

I think this is what you're supposed to make out of it:

1) MindRash doesn't know Perl, whatever he tries writing is wrong and produces errors, so therefore he thinks it must be Perl's fault.

2) MindRash can't remember to click the radio button that says "ASCII" before uploading.

3) MindRash has yet to figure out you can very easily use MySQL in Perl.

He's quite hard on himself, isn't he?

:D

:confused:

What is meant by that phrase is what you said was totally incomprehendable.

Originally posted by Dusty
1) MindRash doesn't know Perl, whatever he tries writing is wrong and produces errors, so therefore he thinks it must be Perl's fault.
I guess regexps are too hard for him. ;)

hmm...dusty has a problem, this is a discussion, not a flaming war...but looks like thats what its going to turn into.

And y4es I do know a bit of perl, I just find it very picky and I always forget to clock the lil ASCII button. My fault I guess but still annoying. Bottom line -> Anyone who has been living in a cave for the last year will love Perl, apart from that PHP rocks.

Mind you, MindRash, I have used PHP before. It looks quite stupid, if you ask me. You still haven't given a justification for why PHP is better than Perl. Why, because, everything is laid out for you in "easy-to-remember" function names? Oh no, I can't remember to do a use DBI;, therefore I need to use PHP. mysql_connect(), here I come!

:confused:
Calm down....

But whats wrong with mysql_connect()? Do you like gritting your teeth for hours trying to figure out some stupid perl function? I don't :(

Anyway, calm down...

Do you like gritting your teeth for hours trying to figure out some stupid perl function? I don't
But, I don't have to. :biggrin2:

Here's a good analogy.

WinXP Home [not that it crashes...but] is to PHP, as Win2000 Professional Build ~2320 or before is to Perl. :biggrin2:

Actually, this seems a bit more appropriate:

UNIX System V ROTFLMAO is Perl
RedHat 7.1 ROTFLMAO is PHP

Anyway, you still haven't given me one reason why PHP is better than Perl. Is having a bad memory a good reason to use PHP? Even then, that person will be bound to forget it. :confused2

PHP isnt better then PERL, and PERL isnt better then PHP (:)confused: ))
PHP is great
PERL is great
[ASP sucks :biggrin2: ]
PHP can do the same thing like PERL (in server side scripting) and PERL can do the same thing like PHP. (:)confused: ))
so whats the point you ask ??
there is no point, use whatever you want....

Originally posted by Hayama-kun
That's much better, and yes, ASP does suck. :biggrin2:
I never said that perl sucks, I just said that PHP is newer then PERL :p and works faster with mySQL.
(but I allways said that ASP suckz :p )

I still disagree about the mySQL, unless you can benchmark both on the same machine with Apache, mod_perl and Zend/PHPA, we can't really tell. :confused2

hmm...dusty has a problem, this is a discussion, not a flaming war...
Let me introduce you to the concept of a joke, MindRash, intended to point out the complete and utter nonsense of your first comment.

Back