• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what do you do if you're host is out of business?

wallisland

recently, my website and my host's website are both down. my host told me that they will transfer my site to other host. if they did transfer it to other host, how come it's still down? my domain is registed at namezero.com and my website is at fireflyhosting.com. now im thinking about another host, but how do i transfer my domain to the new host? since fireflyhosting is gone now. i bet some of you might have this problem before, please kindly share your experience and please tell me what to do. thank you.

unfortunate...

and not good business practice!
If the host went out of business, either by selling out, etc. the proper thing to do would have been to NOTIFY existing customers of an upcoming change to their accounts, etc.
It doesnt look like this was the case with you.
My best advice would be to look for another host....sign up, and then you will be able to transfer your domain name to the new host.
Normally, the new host will send out account info in their welcome letter to the client.
If you registered your own domain name, you should be able to login at the registrar and make those changes (your new host will provide you with their DNS numbers)
Hope this helps....

You get your domain free of charge from namezero or paid?

If free:
1. You need to purchase the domain from namezero and they should grant you full access to a domain contoller where you can update your name servers and DNS... etc.
2. You need to signup with a new host, and after completion of signup process, usually they will give you all necessary hosting account information.
3. Log into your domain controller to update your name servers. This might takes 24 - 72 hours time for the domain to fully be propagated.

If Paid:
Skip step1 and continue with Step2 & Step3.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help. You can reach me at ksstudio@exa-bytes.com.

best regards,

Chan

Originally posted by ksstudio
You get your domain free of charge from namezero or paid?

If free:
1. You need to purchase the domain from namezero and they should grant you full access to a domain contoller where you can update your name servers and DNS... etc.
2. You need to signup with a new host, and after completion of signup process, usually they will give you all necessary hosting account information.
3. Log into your domain controller to update your name servers. This might takes 24 - 72 hours time for the domain to fully be propagated.

If Paid:
Skip step1 and continue with Step2 & Step3.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help. You can reach me at ksstudio@exa-bytes.com.

best regards,
Chan

I have a paid namezero domain and when I log in, there's nothing there about DNS numbers or Name Servers.

I afraid that is not a domain controller, it is just a hosting account control panel. I will advise you to contact namezero.:)

you have to contact namezero about your nameserver info, you can't find it, or change it in the control panel.

now i just don't know wether my old host has transfered my website or not, if they did, then i won't be purchasing another host to host my site. by the way, are all the emails sent to me are lost? or i will be able to get them after i get my mailbox set up?

Well, if they did and your web site is still down, shouldn't you consider of moving out?

It depends if your host transfer your mails to your new account over the new host. Otherwise the mails will remain at your host's server and you won't be getting them unless you can still connect to the mail server of your host.

allsite.co.uk just emailed me that all my mails will be lost during the down time. fireflyhosting ripped me off. what a bad experience with my first host. im registering burlee.com, and they seem pretty realiable. i just want to get my mailbox set up right away. thanks for the help, guys.

The owner of fireflyhosting is probably in Tahiti right now, smoking a cuban cigar.

I suggest you sign up with a host that has been around for a long time, like Tera-byte or Below10host.

Edit: Burlee seems fine. They been around for quite awhile, but I still suggest the ones above.

that's really unresponsible to leave your customers like that. plus i have alot of important mails go through my mailbox, not they're all gone. well, i guess i learned something this time. im ordering burlee's plan for about 180.00 a year.

Back