• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do I need: VPS or reseller plan?

Albert

I am unsure what would be best for me, VPS or a reseller plan. Especially I see so much differences with VPS-offers.

Do I have to install all packages by myself with a vps or do I get a configured standard-setup, so I only have to add apps, if I need them? Do I have to update the system by myself and configure the firewall etc. by myself? I know that features depend, but I would like to know, what is "standard".

What about "addon-domains". Can I setup zones myself with a vps or do I have to pay extra for eacht domain?

Please give me a clue, what I can't do with a vps, which can be done with a reseller plan. Thank you.

As far as I know the regular VPS will have most of the things setup by default. All you need to do is install any add-ons and stuff on your own if it's unmanaged vps. If you get managed vps then they should do everything for you. Also, you should be able to add zones and stuff on your own for free. WHM makes a lot of things easy for me. I think you should be pretty much ok with a managed vps. Once you run on that for a while, you can decide what you want to do.

Can u plz tell us about ur site ? wt about its traffic.. and also wts ur budget ? May be i should help u where to go I was also in situation like this...

vps is for the most part a dedicated server. You are responsible for all the things on a vps that you would be on a dedicated (security, software glitches etc) where as a reseller you would be a bit more hands off in that respect as you would not even have shell access to the server.

reseller plans are far easier if you are just starting off and maye not so familiar with ins and outs of linux

As stated above, reseller plans will likely have more management (even moreso than a managed VPS though that may not always be the case). Moreover, if you are fairly new to this, a lot of the advantages of VPS won't apply to you. For example, you likely won't need or want root access unless you know what to do. If you do know your way / have some experience with managing a server, then you'd appreciate a lot of what comes with the VPS experience. Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

What are you going to use the account for?

I generally pefer VPS if I can afford it, yes I would need to have more knowledge of Linux than my current state, but having root access generally is better as I can create WHM Resellers and also troubleshoot the server on the spot myself if there is any trouble instead of waiting for the support team to come and help you fix it... there are many advantages to using a VPS however if you are new to Linux you would generally prefer a reseller.

I don't know how long I use Linux now as a Desktop-client with local servers, I think it is about 8 years that I use SuSE and since about 3 years I use Debian too. I know how to setup a mail- or dns-server e.g., but I am unexperienced with apache or another webserver, although apache is running locally with phpmyadmin. I mean, I can get it work, but I don't understand much about related security issues. It is a lot of work to be uptodate with security fixes, but I noticed especially with Imagemagick, resellers still use buggy versions with securiy holes. In other words, I don't know if I would like to be resposible for _all_ security issues including the firewall. At the moment I received a mail that there is a security issue with clamav. I don't know if I have the time to update the vps within a few hours, while within a local network of trusted users, this won't be less important, but of course has to be done.

On the other hand I would very appreciate to have root rights, because I know, I could help myself with problems and if not, it is my own fault ;-) And if I would like to have a newer version of a program, with a vps I could install it and I do not have to ask, if it could be installed, maybe. Or is this sight wrong?

We are a few friends, so a reseller account has to the only aim to be able to manage more things ourselves. To get more flexibility we are thinking of a vps too. In fact, we are 4 persons now, but probabyl we would like to use more than 4 users for security reasons. I mean, when shell access is used, other data is available, than as a "webuser".

We do not need very much space. At the beginning probably 1 GB would be enough for all, so let's discuss about 3GB space, to be on the safe side, if the sites are growing. Transfer would also be not so much, at the moment we have about 2GB/month, but this will grow as the sites are growing, and we would like to use about 10 webalbums. (no adult content)

So the most important thing for us is flexibility and helping ourselves if there are problems.

We need shell access (identification by key from a stick + password i, I mean both together is needed to connect, not a pw only) to be able to do some tasks, when we are not in the office. E.g. we would like to use putty for a connection and then write a mail with mutt.

I think this can be done with a reseller account as well as with a vps.

With a vps, you don't have to ask to install anything. You have full flexibility. Most hosts should be able to offer you either the vps or reseller solution. If having full root is important to you than you should do VPS. The only downside is that you'll pay a bit more if you want cpanel with that VPS as the licensing issues can make it more expensive.

So there should be no big price-difference, if I don't need cpanel or whm and manage everything myself?

Not really -- vps do take up more resources (the host has to allot a certain amount of ram to you and it often requires more support).

I saw your request thread and replied to it.

Having read this one now, I definately would urge you to get a VPS with the OS you fancy.

In the meantime my friends and I discuss the legal part of a vps. With a reseller account we do not have root rights, so we cannot be made responsible if the server is hacked.

Assume the server is hacked and someone spreads a new virus from this machine or does other illegal things. I think in this case I think I can get a lot of problems, if I cannot prove that I did all possible things to secure the system. In other words, a vps means monitoring the attacks all the time and react in a short time, if there goes something wrong. While with my local network I can disconnect the system from the net, it won't be so easy to do this with a "productive" vps.

I am unsure what would be best for me, VPS or a reseller plan. Especially I see so much differences with VPS-offers.

Do I have to install all packages by myself with a vps or do I get a configured standard-setup, so I only have to add apps, if I need them? Do I have to update the system by myself and configure the firewall etc. by myself? I know that features depend, but I would like to know, what is "standard".

What about "addon-domains". Can I setup zones myself with a vps or do I have to pay extra for eacht domain?

Please give me a clue, what I can't do with a vps, which can be done with a reseller plan. Thank you.
Overall you can do more with the right VPS than any reseller plan you have root access its like a really crap dedi server where as a reseller plan limits you
a vps wont
VPS will also allow you to make your own reseller accounts and give you shell access so you can run process's
You are asking alot of questions you would be better off asking a sales department ;p

My reply was to your last thing "what I can't do with a vps, which can be done with a reseller plan. Thank you"

In the meantime my friends and I discuss the legal part of a vps. With a reseller account we do not have root rights, so we cannot be made responsible if the server is hacked.

Assume the server is hacked and someone spreads a new virus from this machine or does other illegal things. I think in this case I think I can get a lot of problems, if I cannot prove that I did all possible things to secure the system. In other words, a vps means monitoring the attacks all the time and react in a short time, if there goes something wrong. While with my local network I can disconnect the system from the net, it won't be so easy to do this with a "productive" vps.

huh
dude
O_O
Um I really dont know what to say to that if someone hacked your box and it was upto date there the ones that get in trouble not you.

Back