• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Western Digital Caviar 25100

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAWUnited.com

Hello,

I have an old Western Digital harddrive that has some of my files on it. It is a Western Digital Caviar 25100 with a capacity of only 5163.5 MB. Somehow the board underneath got scratched right where the power comes in, so it won't power up. I have searched on ebay to buy another one.. but it seems that nobody has one, because it is so old. Does anybody know where I can buy another one, or even just the board underneath that i could switch with this one?

Thanks

CAWUnited.com said:
Hello,

I have an old Western Digital harddrive that has some of my files on it. It is a Western Digital Caviar 25100 with a capacity of only 5163.5 MB. Somehow the board underneath got scratched right where the power comes in, so it won't power up. I have searched on ebay to buy another one.. but it seems that nobody has one, because it is so old. Does anybody know where I can buy another one, or even just the board underneath that i could switch with this one?

Thanks
so the solder connection from the power is scratched away? if you're daring enough, maybe you can re-solder it.

Daniel said:
Just upgrade?
I am already upgraded.. i just need to get the data off of it..

stu said:
so the solder connection from the power is scratched away? if you're daring enough, maybe you can re-solder it.
I was thinking about it.. but where it is scratched, the lines are too close together.. it might end up connecting the wrong wires and totally ruin the drive..lol

is the data worth sending it over to a data recovery service?

or you can try using a pencil and draw in the connection. sounds stupid, but this technique was used a lot in the old Athlon T-bird days, where hobbyists used a pencil to connect some bridge connections on the CPU to unlock the multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back