• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vps Providers Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been watching this one :)

Don't just rely on the controls your given to create accounts or manage a server, use something 'other' than that :wink2:

All I'm saying - without money changing hands that is :D

Service in progress...

Hi!
I've got two setup with hyper..and two without. :) ahhh..I've always thought about making me own control panel..well...we'll see.

>>I can't guarantee that "without money changing hands" thing, though. I just caught that..no..I've been a non-profit way too long.

Bryon

Last edited:
Hi!
alrighty. About show time. Template made on server 1-VPS2 with Cpanel.

Cpanel installing on Server2-VPS2. We will see shortly....

Bryon

Hi!
Done. It works! There are a few caveats.
I only had a partial test today..thanks to a error (human)..but certainly there seems to be nothing that should prevent B>A transfer.

Only A>B was done today.

1. I'm working on a problem from within networking. The system always changes the subnet mask to a invalid one..and networking does not work on reboot.

2. Commands:

/usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt

/scripts/updatedomainips

/etc/init.d/cpanel restart

I'm not sure the last two were totally necessary..but felt they were a good move anywho.

The template was 850MB, btw.

>>I tired. More tomoorroe.

>>>>Alright. Test #2 Server B>A is underway. I was also able to confirm normal templates created with hypervm do indeed work on vps servers without hypervm.

I can't test cpanel with that..due to the limit of cpanel licenses...yet.

Bryon

Last edited:
Hi!
Stage two complete. Cpanel setup on server 2 and moved to server 1..no problems.

There is something I left out for the new people doing this..make sure you change out the ips in etc/resolv.conf to reflect the needed local nameservers as well as:

service named stop
service named start

then run the other commands above^^^
and you are good to go.

I may or may not do the 64bit stuff...depending on response, I guess.

I guess the next thing to do is to bother the fantastico folks for a trial license as well. :)

Bryon

You'll always have changes to make after an image restore, whether from a database system or as a postscript (the usual and best option).

One hint - I've found storing images and distributing (using the methods I use) are better from a windows server, don't ask.

But using this I can restore a group of 50 servers, or desktops/laptops, (more wouldn't be an issue) with a 2.5G image in 4 minutes 36 seconds on a 100Mb LAN (so if you have a rack and a PVC for it that's how quick it goes from fresh), then the postscripts take about 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on hardware including the reboot. (example given was for an HMRC job)

Hi!
Thanks. I'd like to know where it gets that non-working submask:

ifcfg-venet0:0

ip_address real.ip.add.ress
subnet_mask 255.255.255.255

Most of the time..255.255.255.0 is correct.

I have much to learn about linux networking, I do.

>>Windows is no problem. Almost all my servers are multi-boot now. ;)

Ok..so maybe I did get a tad carried away with Betsy:

2008 Enterprise Trial
2003 Standard 64bit Licensed
2003 Ent 64bit trial normal setup
2003 Ent 64bit trial Virtual Server 2005(8)?
Centos 4.6 64bit
Centos 5.2 64bit
Solaris 10

Ah! Options!

Bryon

Last edited:
I'd leave Solaris out for special occassions only!

Most of the time..255.255.255.0 is correct.
you do sometimes need the correct subnet :wink2: where the PS comes in ...

Aye.

I quite like Solaris. I had everything else..so I figured..hey..why not?

I started with just OpenSolaris..then got Solaris 10 for free as well. I started out with it just on Vmware..since 2005(8?) fibbed about solaris support.

I then decided to add it to Betsy..just to see if there was truly a limit of how many you could have in the mix. There is no limit.

The only two virtualization solutions I have yet to add are Xen and VirtualIron..I believe. I am quite pleased with Hyper-V as well.

>>Now that gogrid has a API..I'm sure I'll have to take a look at that as well.

>>>Oh, Sun has something as well. I must have it. ;)

Bryon

Last edited:
Back