• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPNs - how do they work?

Jan

Forum Cleaner
NLC
Can someone explain (in sesame street language) how they work. It has been suggested I get one for my upcoming trip to Vietnam.

I was there in June and found that so many sites were blocked and it was a battle to find a half decent Australian proxy.

So to get an Aussie IP I would need an Aussie provider? What sort of host do I need?

You (Norm. IP) -> Server (VPN) = Internet (VPN IP)

Yeah. If you want simple, go with a company that sets them up for you. This one for example seems okay. They have multiple locations (you don't need to go for Australian, specially since they will usually cost you more) and they even show you how to set it up.

http://www.hideipvpn.com/premium_vpn/ (I've never used these, I just google'd for OpenVPN providers, I can't remember the ones I've used.)

If you using it for banking, it is best for use your own VPS and setup a VPN to use it for short term.
Or of course, go for some more reputable VPN services.
Myself, I usually only use the VPN I setup myself if I wanted to use the VPN to do online banking stuff, coz I just don't feel safe using other people's VPN for doing so.

If you using it for banking, it is best for use your own VPS and setup a VPN to use it for short term.
Or of course, go for some more reputable VPN services.
I don't have a VPS. (wouldn't know what to do with it if I did have one :D)

Who are the more reputable VPN services?

There is a VPN provider in my country which is quite reputable, but not sure how you think of them.
They use servers from Germany.
If you want, you can go and take a look.
http://www.bolehvpn.net/
But warning! Their customers use the VPN to torrent a lot, so do not expect that they can give you good speed.
LOL

Back