• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Visual Basic dll's

Koolguy

I was just wondering why Microsoft didn't include the runtime DLL's for a visual basic program within itself. It sure is annoying when people email you saying that their getting an error msg. LOL, I need to get visual c++.

The reason is because it really isn't a program language, its a scripting language...hence the high number of decompilers for VB out there.

However, there is an option in VB to package your files. When you do this, it creates an install program that will in fact include the runtime files...

Visual Basic is NOT a scripting language. Thats not even close to a myth. VB is associated to the following 3 segments :

1. Visual Basic Desktop - A win32 programming platform
2. Visual Basic Applications (VBA) - Platform extension for integrating other win32 technologies (like MS-Office products etc)
3. Visual Basic Scripting - VBScript as its called is not a software development technology but rather a web-development server-side scripting language. Active Server Pages (ASP) encapsulates VBScript.

As for the VB runtime files, Windows 98/2000/ME have the DLL's pre-installed so you don't have to worry about packaging your application.

Hope the info helps.

Uh..yes it is...

Unlike most programs where you compile and the compiler converts the program into machine code (and hence stand alone) VB makes extensive use of prebuilt dlls that act on behalf of the script..hence scripting language...

As for the DLLs..win98/2000/Me have only the Vbrun60.dll installed but most VB programs require OCX.dll, and several others that are not installed...hence the need for packaging them.

Name another prorgamming language where for every new feature you need to make use of another .dll. Most other programming languages use the Win API directly and forgo the use of Dlls

I totaly agree with you cds, it's not a real programming language, I personally consider it a scripting langue becuase almost very option is made for you. You just point and choose in the order you want.
Note: I am being very cryptic.

Back