• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Virtualization software

ikick

ohai guys :)

Just wondering what visualization software you recommend for hosting VPS's? I need something that isn't so damn expensive but nothing that is cheap/free like vmware etc..

Suggestions?

Dylan

Well if your looking for free there is OpenVZ / Xen.
virtuozzo isn't free but is very good.
But I would say the best is vSphere ESX v4 vmware...

What do you guys use?

I currently use HyperVM but after the passing of the founder, i don't feel safe using it as i don't know if development will continue.

I've used vePortal and recommend it, they even have a script to help migrate from HyperVM. This decision depends on if you're hosting OpenVZ or Xen VPS's though.

HyperVM is now back in development and there's no known security problems yet.

Awesome,
Thanks for the recommendation John :)

Well yea, we are fully OpenVZ and thinking about Xen for a new node that we have just purchased.

Now it's just a matter of deciding weather or not i want to continue with HyperVM..

Go Xen, the market is flooded with OpenVZ providers!

Every man and his dog does OpenVZ, which is pretty easy to use but just doesn't feel the same as using Xen from an adminisrator or vps root user point of view.

It feels real with with Xen, OpenVZ feels a little like knock off goods you can get. (OpenVZ does have it's place! I use it at home for things such as squid to protect the kids - Xen just feels more enterprize :))

Thanks for the advice Technics :)

I might actually follow it, getting my server rebuilt as we speak ;)

I agree. I started with OpenVZ but am wishing I offered Xen instead as it's much better and clients have more control over things (IPTables, Kernel etc). The next VPS node will definately be Xen.

You will be more flexible with software virtualization. You can update resources, create VMs in real time. As far I know, it requires a reboot after creating new VM in Hardware virtualization.

Vmware EXS (or sphere)? I dont know of any providers using this, perhaps due to licensing costs, but it is an option

Yes, Virtuzzo is the best but it's not FREE hence if you are looking free application then go with Xen :)

Go Xen, the market is flooded with OpenVZ providers!

Every man and his dog does OpenVZ, which is pretty easy to use but just doesn't feel the same as using Xen from an adminisrator or vps root user point of view.

It feels real with with Xen, OpenVZ feels a little like knock off goods you can get. (OpenVZ does have it's place! I use it at home for things such as squid to protect the kids - Xen just feels more enterprize :))

This is quite a statement for OpenVZ however since "the man and his dog" does OpenVZ, I think it would be profitable to get more "man & dog" to buy this :angel:

Back