• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

USB flash drives

CareBear

NLC
NLC
Has anyone had any experience using them?
I'm considering a 128Mb or 256Mb one but there seem to be quite a few brands around with fairly large price differences between them. ($70 for a 128Mb one - I forgot the brand - vs $120 for an Iomega 128Mb one).
Any suggestions/experience with them would be welcome :)

I have one, and I think they're awesome! They have got to be the handiest things I've ever come accross!

That being said, I ran into a problem with mine about 3 or so months after I bought it. It seems to have somehow become corrupt or something and so there are certain places it can't seem to write to.

It's around the 15meg mark on the drive, and so instead of 32mb, I can't put anything on their over 15mb. (Mine is only 32mb, so I'm lucky I only got a cheapo one).

A few weeks or so before this happened it also occasionaly had problems in that it would randomly become unreadable on some computers and I would need to format it again.

I think perhaps I've just had a bad experience and mine may have been faulty for no apparent reason... because I do think the things themselves are pretty awesome.

They do tend to be a little bit slow though, but it's not too bad; and I'm not sure if newer ones support USB 2.0, but then I spose speed wouldn't be an issue.

we just make a round up with USB flash drives in our magazine.

This drives will replace the old FFD...
and with USB 2.0 is very fast...

I just went out and bought it and it seems to perform rather well (for USB 1.1 anyway) :)
Benchmark gave a little over 1Mb/s for all read tests and 900Kb/s for all write tests.
I was a bit worried about needing drivers but it's "plug and play". Now I just have to worry about not loosing/misplacing it :D

USB flash drives a very nice. I myself have a Lexar 256mb USB 2 JumpDrive. It takes on average 3 minutes to fill the whole thing. I paid $219 Canadian for it, I retail it for $269

Originally posted by Toefur
It's around the 15meg mark on the drive, and so instead of 32mb, I can't put anything on their over 15mb. (Mine is only 32mb, so I'm lucky I only got a cheapo one).
I just thought back to your post. Have you tried formatting it and then running scandisk on it and set it to mark bad 'clusters'?

i have an mp3 player that acts as a USB hard drive. it comes with 128MB of memory and I find it very useful as i can store my music, and carry some word docs or files on it at the same time..

i like it because it doesn't require any software. Windows 2K/XP will detect the USB drive automatically and lets you drag and drop files using windows explorer

i got one,64MB just $35
here the price is under $60 for a 128mb flash memory
by the way,who maked it?mine is by netac

Back