• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

US Healthcare Clusterf**k

I remember having a discussion about this in one of my classes a few months ago. The solution we came up with was a "hybrid" health care system. Where there would be the "free" social tier specifically for those with no insurance or whatever reason. Then there would be a higher tier for those who wanted "better" treatment and so on.

Personally, I don't know how well this is going to end, but I'm just glad I'm healthy!! :biggrin2:

That's pretty much the bill that's in the senate right now, but everyone is saying it's gonna fail.

Personally, I don't understand the argument against the "free" option.

There's no free option in the senate, it's a public option. You would have to pay premiums for it just like private insurance. I hope some form of it pass the senate.

The "free" option you mention is basicly how it works in the rest of the industrialized world, where health insurance is instead paid mostly through taxes.

Okay i work for a health insurance company, i have no problem with a public option for people who cannot get insurance or cannot afford insurance. But socialized healthcare is not the answer specially not in the us where people feel over entitled to everything. Plus people are thinking this means free healthcare (it doesn't). People will still have to pay premiums, and so there will be those who still don't carry the insurance as it costs them money they feel they don't have.

The current bill requires by law that everyone carry health insurance. If your job doesn't pay for it, YOU have to. Can't afford it? Too bad. If you don't at least buy the public option, you will be fined. Failure to pay these fines will result in tax evasion charges that could possibly lead to jail time.

So, let's send poor people to jail because they can't afford health insurance? Yeah, the bill that just passed the House is awesome.

It's balanced out a little by employers with more than 50 employees being required to provide health insurance (for full time workers, I believe, not sure about that).

Everyone is only saying it's going to fail because of the horror stories you hear worldwide of national health systems. The only failure I'll see in the US is because of the sheer size, if they actually do the work to get it near perfect, it'll do well. The proof is in the pudding.

I don't like the idea of tiers in the system.

(What do you think about it?)

The term "socialized healthcare" is a scare tactic used by insurance companies and others who profit under the current system to avoid reforms. I'm not so sure anyone who use that expression really understand what it means. What is Medicaid, Medicare and care for Veterans? All government run programs. Are they not solutions to a problem? The police is socialized by that definition. Is that a bad thing? The military is socialized by that definition. Bad thing? The fire department is socialized by that defintition. Bad thing?

By the way, what's the number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the US? And why is that?

The term "socialized healthcare" is a scare tactic used by insurance companies and others who profit under the current system to avoid reforms. I'm not so sure anyone who use that expression really understand what it means. What is Medicaid, Medicare and care for Veterans? All government run programs. Are they not solutions to a problem? The police is socialized by that definition. Is that a bad thing? The military is socialized by that definition. Bad thing? The fire department is socialized by that defintition. Bad thing?

By the way, what's the number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the US? And why is that?
This is why I don't like the idea of tiers in the system, it'll be for profit and not for the greater good. Which is good health care.

So the problem on this end is okay so we want the best healthcare? correct or am i wrong? Also socialized healthcare like medicare is a joke first of all it doesn't pay hardly anything. Second medicare is plagued by fraud cause there are no checks and balances.

The number one reason for personal bankruptcy in the US are costs for health care. Almost all of those going bankrupt due to health care costs had insurance. Insurance companies drop many people who have insurance when they get sick, claiming they had "preexisting conditions". Copays are in many cases extremely high causing people to go bankrupt despite having insurance. This year alone, more than one million americans will go bankrupt.

People who are bankrupt will not be able to buy stuff and keep the economy going. Instead they will cost the government money. See the problem? Since health care in the US is tied to your employer, it's an extra problem for businesses to keep up with rising health insurance costs. When health insurance cost twice as much in the US, how are US companies going to compete with companies in other countries where they only have to pay half as much for health care?

Do you know how many people went bankrupt due to lack of health insurance, copays or "preexisting conditions" in Britain? Canada? Sweden? Norway? Germany? A grand total of zero.

socheaphost said:
Also socialized healthcare like medicare is a joke first of all it doesn't pay hardly anything. Second medicare is plagued by fraud cause there are no checks and balances.
Tell that to all the people I know who have gone to the hospital and haven't been billed. We would be bankrupt in the US. That's Health Care for you...

This is why I don't like the idea of tiers in the system, it'll be for profit and not for the greater good. Which is good health care.

Well of course! Everything in the United States has to be for-profit! Hospitals that take the whole "we are non-profit" approach look dingy and not a place I'd like to be admitted to. The ones that take a "for profit" approach look so much nicer and actually use things like Novell NetWare/Windows Active Directory and Windows XP on modern computers.... not PII 500 MHz machines with 98 crawling along.

Well of course! Everything in the United States has to be for-profit! Hospitals that take the whole "we are non-profit" approach look dingy and not a place I'd like to be admitted to. The ones that take a "for profit" approach look so much nicer and actually use things like Novell NetWare/Windows Active Directory and Windows XP on modern computers.... not PII 500 MHz machines with 98 crawling along.
No it's not.

No it's not.

I was kidding. The last thing we need is health care for-profit. Unfortunately, that's how it is played out.

Like when my insurance policy changed, I used to have $10 copay for ER visits and now I have $50 copay. Lets hope I don't have to go to the ER anytime soon.

Back