• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Upgrade...

Cyber

[...]
NLC
I really need to upgrade my computer, it's horrible!!

Current specs:
- Pentium II (MMX)
- Diamond 3Dfx Graphics Card
- I think, 256MB RAM
- ~3-4GB space

What should I do? Please help!

I'm new to working with the hardware, I'm more a software/computer programming person.

Can you go a bit more in-depth?

Originally posted by Cyber
I'm new to working with the hardware, I'm more a software/computer programming person.

Can you go a bit more in-depth?
I'm also new to working with hardware...

buy a new hard drive and change your processor to some kick --- processor like AMD athlon.

If i were you, I would buy(or assemble) a new computer,but if you still want to go with the upgrade then check out here Motherboards and processors , they offer good prices for combos of motherboards and processors.
For the Hard Drive check out CNET .
You didn't mention which kind of memory you have, but in case you will be upgarding to P4 or Athlon XP I "think" that you should get new modules because they support either SDRAM or RDRAM(correct me).
Finally you can find very helpful articles about hardware upgrades here:
http://pcmech.pair.com/

Case
Power Supply (often comes with case)
Motherboard
Processor
Hard Drive
RAM
CD/DVD, CDRW or whatever
Floppy Drive
Ethernet Card (NIC)
Graphics Card
Sound Card

When I built my first computer a couple years ago I had no idea how to assemble it all or what I needed. What I found was helpful was to get comments from other people.

My preferences:
- Abit or Asus motherboard
- AMD Athlon processor
- Crucial RAM
- any decent case with a PW supply >= 300watts approved for whatever processor you're buying
- Quantum/Maxtor hard drive
- Intel EtherExpress 10/100 NIC, although you can save money and buy a cheaper brand card -- they'll work.
- Floppy, whatever cheap brand you can get. I hardly ever use them on my computers anyway.
- Nvidia graphics card, which card depends on the money you want to spend and what your needs are.
- Sound card -- I really don't have any preference here. I have multiple brands and they all do just fine.
- DVD/CD/CDRW. This really depends on what you want. I have a bunch of generic CD-ROM drives and then a Sony 24/10/40 CD-RW.

I am a computer technician locally and I WOULD not reccomend you putting your own computer together unless you have done it before. Did you know there is one washer that you must place on a screw that mounts your motherboard? If you didn't you would have just screwed up your motherboard withen a few months. Did you know that sometimes voltage settings for jumpers will still run fine (seemingly) until your system will fry. There are a lot of riskes in a beginner doing it yourself. The best way to do it is ask a local computer shop if they will help you set it up for a little less of a price.
Anyway if you want to upgrade your processor you can't just put a new one in you have to get a new motherboard and considering you have an older processor you probably have pc100 or pc66 ram may even simm ramm so then you have to buy new ram....

I definatly reccomend for a new comer to hardware that wants to put his own system together a barebones/pc kit. Just put in the drives.
http://www.tigerdirect.com has good deals

Originally posted by guitarnerd
I am a computer technician locally and I WOULD not reccomend you putting your own computer together unless you have done it before. Did you know there is one washer that you must place on a screw that mounts your motherboard? If you didn't you would have just screwed up your motherboard withen a few months. Did you know that sometimes voltage settings for jumpers will still run fine (seemingly) until your system will fry. There are a lot of riskes in a beginner doing it yourself. The best way to do it is ask a local computer shop if they will help you set it up for a little less of a price.

By your logic nobody would ever build a computer because they'd never have built one before and thus be "qualified" to build their own in the first place. Seriously, don't make it seem harder than it is. I have many friends that are not computer-saavy that have built their own.

Just be very careful and read all the instructions.

It is very true though that having a person experienced in building computers helping you out and checking to make sure things are being done correctly.

Just make sure you are careful. It is too easy to make a mistake than to just ask for some help. It isn't hard but there are a lot of things to remember and do correctly. And for directions...there is always something that happens that the directions don't thouroughly explain

I have a Dell Dimension 8200, with 512MB PC800 RDRAM, and I've always wondered wut exactly "RDRAM" was. Could anybody here clarify that for me? Is it better than the older SDRAM and the DDR SDRAM? Or what? Is my RAM the best there is?

Originally posted by Bruce
Technically speaking, RDRAM is supposed to be able to outperform DDR, but testing hasn't proven that to be the case. It's really a toss-up between the two, but DDR is currently winning that race because it's quite a bit cheaper.

And just to add on to what I said, PC1066 is out now, so PC800 isn't even new any more. Your best performance would be DDR 333MHz PC2700 right now.

building a computer from scratch isn't so hard and it's a very good learning experience...

Back