• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Unix, Linux or Windows?

Which OS you like more for a host?

• Windows

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Unix

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Other(specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fedlerner

Many hosts offers three different OSs: Unix, Linux or Windows.

I wanted to know your opinion and experiences from this OS because i don't really know the differences between them.
Please vote, and post which you think is better and why.

Good Luck,
fedlerner

I've havnt seen yet anyone host from real unix.
most hosting is done from some linux flavor, windows or *bsd

Windows is.. well, Windows. What's the point in having a server you need to scan for Virus' every now and then, when you can get one that doesn't get Virus'?

T.M. said:
Windows is.. well, Windows. What's the point in having a server you need to scan for Virus' every now and then, when you can get one that doesn't get Virus'?

Ignorance.
We have over 30 windows servers, none of them run anti virus software.
We've never had an issue with a virus infecting the system

And who said there are no linux viruses? The viruses designed for windows are largely targeted to desktop users.

Points in favor of Windows (2003 in particular)

1) Locked down outside the box. Doesn't need hours of securing like linux does
2) Easier the manage/administer. Requires less administration time in general
3) Well managed boxes are pretty secure. We've never had a windows box in 4 years hacked due to a security flaw in the software we use. Lots of the security issues are with services that are usually disabled on server environments
4) Everything linux supports is supported in Windows. That includes PHP which runs just as well as it runs on linux
5) .NET and MSSQL are fast gaining popularity, windows based

BTW, Microsoft has made a lot of proactive improvements in security. You see something called REP (Remote Execution Prevention) in 2003, which basically detects and prevents code being written in buffer overruns. No such thing in linux

JodoHost said:
Points in favor of Windows (2003 in particular)

1) Locked down outside the box. Doesn't need hours of securing like linux does
2) Easier the manage/administer. Requires less administration time in general
3) Well managed boxes are pretty secure. We've never had a windows box in 4 years hacked due to a security flaw in the software we use. Lots of the security issues are with services that are usually disabled on server environments
4) Everything linux supports is supported in Windows. That includes PHP which runs just as well as it runs on linux
5) .NET and MSSQL are fast gaining popularity, windows based

BTW, Microsoft has made a lot of proactive improvements in security. You see something called REP (Remote Execution Prevention) in 2003, which basically detects and prevents code being written in buffer overruns. No such thing in linux

Very well explained. The majority of your servers are windows?

I think windows is a superior platform for web serving needs. There are no real shortcomings on what you can run. MSSQL, MYSQL, PGSL, ASP, PHP, .NET you name it.

As far as security is concerned I am quite confident that the people speaking on the virus issues and massive security flaws have never used windows in a server environment. We run quite a few windows servers and they are great and most definately far less on the administration side of things too

I generally run Linux Servers. But due to Remote Desktop ect, I much prefer Windows Server 2003 to a Linux. If I gotta pick a linux, the Fedora Core 5 or CentOS 4.

Remote Desktop is a plus, of course. I would preffer Windows Sewrver 2003, but I don't like Plesk that much, is there any other good control panel that works on Windows? Linux has the best software ever, that's why it's so popular

As you posted earlier, Zpanel works. I like Zpanel alot myself..not quite enough features, but to me its way better than Plesk, and its free :D.

Back