• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

Jackel.ca

I've been thinking about picking up an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to be used by my desktop and "home server". Though, I have some questions regarding the use of a UPS before doing so.

My research tells me the common UPS has 2-3 plug outputs, where as I would need at least 4-5. Would it be safe to use a power bar with the UPS?

What size/brand of UPS would be ideal for what I've stated above?

Are they generally safe, and could it have negative effect on my computer(s) if over utilized? Or would it simply power down?

If someone could kindly aid my queries, it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think using a power bar would have any effects except shortening the amount of time the UPS can keep your stuff running.

If the advertised time is 30 minutes, if you plug two computers then its only logical to assume the total time will become 15 minutes.

I wasn't referring to the battery life time, I was referring to the volts/frequency alloted by the different UPS units. But thanks :)

There isn't a UPS that can achieve what you want, there isn't a UPS that can magically turn a domestic connection in a domestic environment into a robust connection in a controlled and monitored environment, all a UPS will do is power your computer, to run a server you need much much much more ....

I haven't stated anywhere that I wished for it to effect my connection in any way. All I'm seeking is a reliable and safe power source to protect against surges, and minor power outages.

The server is simply a stand-alone desktop computer, minus the monitor, mouse, and whatever other devices you would normally have connected to your desktop.

More or less, I'm seeking a UPS that could withstand one workstation, one computer, a modem + hub, and a set of sub woofer speakers (1 woofer + 5 speakers).

There isn't a UPS that can achieve what you want, there isn't a UPS that can magically turn a domestic connection in a domestic environment into a robust connection in a controlled and monitored environment, all a UPS will do is power your computer, to run a server you need much much much more ....

Just to let you know, I do have a UPS system for sale if you want. It is an APC 1500VA Tower UPS system. We used it for a few servers a few months ago and no longer have use for it as our new data center provides them for us. Let me know if you need it. :ninja:

UPS's should only be used for controled shutdown on a smaller scale. Using one to continue powering a system is a bad idea.

So most recognised brands will give ripple/surge filtering and the better ones will allow a shutdown signal to be sent to the PC base to close it down and power it off Usually by a serial link and software).

Hi Decker,

Why would it be a bad idea to have it continue powering devices connected to it on a smaller scale? But aside from that, it's mostly power surges and fluctuations that I want to protect against.

This apartment is quite old, and I have a new PC coming in and don't really want to have it connected directly to the power source, or via a power bar.

@Eclouds - I've replied to your PM, thanks! :)

And thanks to everyone else. I now have more knowledge about UPS units prior to this thread.

A small UPS would do you for protection, but make sure it does have smoothing and filtering built in as some don't. As I said on a smaller scale (ie not a server room) they should really only be used to save documents and shutdown cleanly - all you should connect is the pc & monitor & modem/router, leave the rest out :)

The "rest" is my speakers and additional computer (stand alone, no other devices). Would it really make a difference to have these connected as well?

I wasn't referring to the battery life time, I was referring to the volts/frequency alloted by the different UPS units. But thanks :)
Belkin F6C1200 1200VA 670W UPS 8 Outlet 1080 Joules with RJ11/RJ45 & 1 USB Grey
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25216

• 8 surge protected outlets, 4 with battery backup
  • 670-watt capacity
  • 100 minutes of backup time

From this we can assume this particular UPS will provide 100 minutes of electricity for 670W of equipment.
2 computers, a router, and an LCD should fit in that with no problem.

The speakers won't fit though. I suppose you have decent speakers right, so 150W for the woofer and 5x50W for the satellites and you're up to a 400W load if you're listening at a relatively loud level.

Then again, as it was already mentioned here, residential UPS's are only meant to be used to shut down your computer in case of a power failre (so you get a chance to save that Word document or whatever before the power is cut), not to keep them running 24/7.

If there's a thunderstorm, take some time off and go watch the lightnings, they're fun :)

That model is a good suggestion, and for that price will be hard to beat, along with Belkins warrenty that if their kit fails and causes your machine to blow up your covered :)

It is more realistic that the F6C1200 will run 3-5 min at full load. Before choosing a ups I would recommend taking a look at all the equipment you are going to use. They should all have tags on them showing there watt usage. In the case of your monitor you can use the number on it, for your computer figure half the power supply rating, don’t forget your accessories. Add them together to come up with the minimum size watt rating you would want to get. Then decide on how long you want it to stay on. I would recommend a APC ups as they will show you a real chart showing the products and your usage to show you the real expected time. Also make sure you get one with (AVR) Automatic Voltage Regulation. You do not want to get one that you are going to overload.

I've decided to pick up a simple surge protected power bar. It should provide me protection from surges, which I was primarely looking for. The outages really won't effect much as it is my desktop computer, and local dump server.

Thanks again :)

Back