• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ugly Designer Laptops

aowsmaster

Hey guys,

A while back I posted about this but now the deadline is upon me and I've learned a few more things...

I'm going to college soon, and looking at some of these laptops kind of amuses me when I go to best buy. These sleek shiny and completely useless consumer laptops are not something I need.

I've tried some of the laptops that my friends have already gotten and they are slower than the computer I built 10 years ago. Now I realize that there is somewhat of a tower/laptop buffer there but surely laptops are faster than computers built 10 years ago but seriously these things are a hunk of pretty metal. (God I feel old)

Code:
[B]Basically what I want[/b]
Boxy simple black laptop case

*~2.2Ghz Dual
*~2 Gigs Ram
*Decent Video Card
*Square Screen :O God forbid, "bigger is better right? Even if it runs crappy!"
*OS doesn't matter, I'm wiping it regardless because of the bloatware.
*~$1000

**Fullscreen fine, please avoid...

I've really looked into the lenovo but those are a bit pricey, not to mention the new ones are starting to take that stupid consumer look. Any help greatly appreciated.

I've given up the search, I honestly cannot find one laptop that will support my multi-tasking needs. (Not to mention my patience on start-up.)

http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing beats a Mac in terms of design quality. Yeah, they are expensive for what you get inside, but they perform good enough. Mac OS is superior, IMO, for everyday tasks most users need, and you can always run Windows if that's your bag too.

No silly stickers, crazy patterns, wacky colors or shapes. Just a nice aluminum casing, comfortable keyboard, decent screen, etc.

It can be had for around $1000 if you get a refurb or a clearance model.

Yea I know macs are an excellent machine, I might actually venture down that avenue but would like to avoid it for now. Gaming is the main reason for that...

http://ibuypower.com/ looks to good to be true... Anyone ever heard anything about that site?

from what I have read online there laptops are decent but the support is horrible. But there are other sites just like ibuypower that have better support. Just google search it a bit :)

I have bought from CyberPowerSystem before, which looks pretty similar. The deal was good, but the support was lacking. Also, it would be harder to find replacement parts should anything break like the keyboard or screen (and no, it is not cheaper to buy a new one if you are spending $1k on a laptop).

I would definitely buy a laptop from a major brand, if anything for the support and parts availability.

Also, the new macbooks (including the cheaper white model) have nVidia 9400m graphics which can run most if not all of the latest games. I was able to run Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 on my aluminum macbook, which was recently released, and it ran just fine in native resolution. Yes, it is an integrated chip, but it is 5x faster than Intel GMA950, so it isn't really in the same class.

Ok, let me ask you guys this...

I've recently seen a netbook, would it be a better idea to keep my desktop and buy a netbook for college?

Those Asus Eee Netbooks are kinda sweet looking...

Notebook was designed to support the mobility of modern life. So you own decide if you need to have laptop or desktop.
But in t\your situation laptop that is what you need right now.

I'd take a look at slickdeals.net. I got an awesome dell studio at a great price and it meets and passes your requirements and at lesser than the price you specified :).

Feel free to PM.

Back