• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Transfer Rate

hallihallo2

Hi there,

One of the most important features that will determine the hosting package i choose will be the data transfer.

Therefore, since I will be hositng a webboard/forum which should i choose? 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20GB?

Will probably be an average board, e.g. 300 members to start with new posts everyday.

look forward to a reply.

What kind of board program are you running?

Do you allow file attachments? If so, what is the size limit?

Finally, if you choose this package for whatever hosting company, can you upgrade at anytime?

I'd probably say that a board, allowing avatars, with a few hundred members, could, in reality only pull, at maximum, about 5GB in a month.

Forums tend to not be huge consumers of transfer, as typically, they are simple, light and have minimal graphics.

Most hosts should allow you to upgrade from package to package, fairly easily. I know we do.

With a forum you need to worry more about weather the host overloads the servers and if they will kick you off for being a server hog well before bandwidth will become an issue.
You will only need around 5 gigs max transfer for that sort of account but you would need to be sure the host will allow the board alough most host's allow boards.

You just have to realize that you're on a shared server, the operative word being 'shared' which means that no host is going to allow you to monopolize server resources, which includes, but is not limited to:

CPU usage
RAM usage
mySQL connections
etc.

When the forum becomes to large, and you have too many users on at the same time, it will be time to move the board to a dedicated server. Just the price you pay for being successful :D

Back