• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

I am getting a Blip on RLS Hosting.

It seem to go all the way to the top of their site.

While they were in the second section with fewer reporting rules, they were in fact a Paid host, so they need to be held to higher standards. We'll see how things develop in the next few hours / days.

Congratulations to the winning hosts! -Just- as this is now concluded though, Decker Services went down 10 minutes ago from now while I was in the middle of setting up TiddlyWiki, and it is still down right now.

Something worth noting: Tonight is the SOPA protest blackout.

It may very well be that the hosts that are down tonight have chosen to participate in the protest by temporarily stopping all service, while other participants have simply replaced their front pages or 'censored' their services in other ways.

If they don't come back up in a day or so, then consider them actually down seriously.

I would have taken mine down too, but I felt that it would be unfair to my clients to bring them offline over my own opinion of SOPA, so I merely blacked out my front page and have left all other services operating normally. To me SOPA means that the government will be endorsing large corporate interests in walking all over the interests of the little guys, as well as a serious blow to this country's freedom. I cannot stand for that, and had to do something even if seemingly insignificant.

At the moment I show Decker Services as running normal, while RLS Hosting appears to be down.

My own site is responding, but I've replaced the index page with something else for the night. The site itself is just fine, and there are links into it to access it's contents.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the winning hosts! -Just- as this is now concluded though, Decker Services went down 10 minutes ago from now while I was in the middle of setting up TiddlyWiki, and it is still down right now.

He didn't go down. Several key components of my entire operation rely on Decker Services. If he went down, I'd have alerts coming from every which direction.

Whats more likely is your ISP and/or one of SoftLayers carriers had a issue and it was probably a isolated incident.

While people in US busy about protesting on the SOPA bill, Malaysian are busy on protesting the CPBM bill, which is also another ---- that causing the whole IT industry in Malaysia die...

Decker also informed me that the system hasn't went down on his end, so it must be my ISP or somewhere on the routing went wrong.

That reminds me of incidents where me and some selected few people (pattern unknown) would have trouble connecting to South California servers, and the traceroute stops at some Verizon line.

UPDATE: I'm trying to access Decker's again at work today, and yep, not accessible. We are only a small business in a shabby warehouse and don't have corporate level firewall going on in our internet, so there may be something up with the ISP our warehouse uses.

Last edited:
Their main site is definitely down.

I'm getting a bad blip again today, so I think RLS is about to lose their place. The can have whatever minimal exposure they like from inertia, until I update the board. That leaves L2P / AgainstSilence (They are still experimenting with brands), who have been fantastic, so like DeckerSvc earlier, they get a "performance bonus" up with the other (round 1) winners, and then I won't need two lines.

I show both RLS Hosting and Decker services as working correctly from here, though they may be having some slow page loads. Hard to tell when bad weather has my modem freaking out, I keep losing the connection because data modems often get kicked off the tower to free up capacity for 911 calls.

I'm also experiencing slower page loads from Decker. I thought it was merely due to my recent switch to Tikiwiki which is a massive CMS, but my old Wordpress blog is also seeing delays.

However like Seraphim, my internet is also known to be unstable.

UPDATE: Just uploaded DokuWiki which is a database-less wiki engine, and it loads much faster. Could it be MySQL database related?

Last edited:
Thanks Tao, grats on thread sticky! I must apologise that I have not been living up to my promise of an article about this host spread research on my blog. I do however still like to share this with an IT society that I am part of in my college, in the form of a 10 minute presentation (10 minute is going to be difficult to squeeze in but a lot of our gatherings have this strange time warp effect where time pass way too fast). Just wonder if you would permit a go-ahead for me to do that?

Can I just point out it is not Decker, it's Decker Services, nickname on FWS Deeplist (why I put my user title as it is), please get it right when your posting :)

Can I just point out it is not Decker, it's Decker Services, nickname on FWS Deeplist (why I put my user title as it is), please get it right when your posting :)

The person who runs the show over there happens to be named Charles Decker. So if people want to call him by his last name, I don't see the issue.

Edited:

To extrapolate a bit on the above, this thread is essentially a host review thread and since you're not a host and you're not really active in this thread it's a very good assumption that when people say "Decker is down" in this thread they are referring to Charles and not you.

Last edited:
Thanks Tao, grats on thread sticky! I must apologise that I have not been living up to my promise of an article about this host spread research on my blog. I do however still like to share this with an IT society that I am part of in my college, in the form of a 10 minute presentation (10 minute is going to be difficult to squeeze in but a lot of our gatherings have this strange time warp effect where time pass way too fast). Just wonder if you would permit a go-ahead for me to do that?

Sure! A couple of minor notes - RLS Hosting is about to be dropped from recommendation, so that gives me a chance to simplify with only one line of winners, since by this point they have "passed the test".

I haven't actually shrunk the code to make a new board yet, that would take an Unstressed Weekend. : )

Last edited:
The person who runs the show over there happens to be named Charles Decker. So if people want to call him by his last name, I don't see the issue.

Edited:

To extrapolate a bit on the above, this thread is essentially a host review thread and since you're not a host and you're not really active in this thread it's a very good assumption that when people say "Decker is down" in this thread they are referring to Charles and not you.

I'm not insulted (in your original post before editing), it's a point of information since it can be viewed by those looking for a reliable host.
I am a host but not on this particular instance, nor in a free sense anymore either, so should a misdirected contact be made then confusion could occur leading to a possible loss of a client for someone else.

So it's just to keep the thread as accurate as possible :) I know It's Charles, you know it's Charles since he's not posting here at the moment he can't really make himself known to those that don't know him. So suggest both these bits get removed from the thread and maybe Tao could decide whether to keep a note on this or let it go.

I'd say it's a fair point to have the clarification, but it might be nice if you two traded notes and tweaked the tone a shade softer. I think we've had some four to five "audience turnovers" since this thread started, so it's a nice bit of reference for people who are just glancing at the final results.

Back