• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Thread Closed] Why..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

NLC
NLC
Why..

Why does the United States Government think they own the Internet? I mean sure it was developed within the U.S., but the Internet has grown to something that no one country can control/own.

I don't even think the Internet was developed mainy within U.S. The Web maybe was. :confused:

I don't even think the Internet was developed mainy within U.S. The Web maybe was. :confused:
The concept of it was, but it's not really a sort of thing you can out-right own. Control, by one means or another, yes, but actually own, no.

What exactly are you referencing, Robert?

Originally posted by Blank Verse
Don't you remember? Al Gore invented the Internet :D:rolleyes:

Ah yes... the man who inflates his position in history... and is a complusive liar...

The Internet was pushed by the Nixon and Ford adminstration. It was finally developed for the public by the Reagan and Bush Sr adminstrations. :D (My republican bias is back) :D

The republicans will be the end of the internet, at least the internet as we now know it.

Giancarlo, do some research on cryptography, particularly DES. Check intp PGP as well.

Originally posted by Gayowulf
The republicans will be the end of the internet, at least the internet as we now know it.

I strongly, bitterly disagree. The Republicans are the pro free market types, and they will persue more security and a more business friendly internet.

The democrats will be the end of the internet, at least the internet as we now know it.

Giancarlo, do some research on cryptography, particularly DES. Check intp PGP as well.

Arbitrary.

No fret GC. You and the Americans can come surf on the Internet the rest of use when yours has come to an end. :)

I think you just proved Robert's point so Spanish you are.

No, its not arbitrary.

You mentioned the Republicans will lead to a more secure internet. I thought you would bring this up; It was the republicans who were out to cripple the cryptographers who were concerned about security. I'm not kidding- look into it.

Originally posted by Blank Verse
Don't you remember? Al Gore invented the Internet :D:rolleyes:
Gore never claimed to "invent" the internet.
Gore: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
He claimed to support the building of the internet when he was a congressman.
The Republicans took Gore's words out of contexts during the 2000 elections. It was a attempt to make Gore looked like a liar.

The republican's sure ain't at it anymore... infact we are the most free market types out there. No doubt it about.

Meow, go talk to yupapa...

And don't insult my nationality.

Originally posted by wm2k1

Gore never claimed to "invent" the internet.
Gore: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet."
He claimed to support the building of the internet when he was a congressman.
The Republicans took Gore's words out of contexts during the 2000 elections. It was a attempt to make Gore looked like a liar.

Al Gore had nothing to do with it.

And his words are I invented the internet... I remember it because I saw one of his interviews or speeches.

Sorry GC. I wasn't aware that calling someone "Spanish" was an insult. Thanks for informing me. I'll use it with care in the future.

Originally posted by meow
Sorry GC. I wasn't aware that calling someone "Spanish" was an insult. Thanks for informing me. I'll use it with care in the future.

No it is not. But you were insulting Spanish by indirectly calling them ignorant. Why did you say this then?

I think you just proved Robert's point so Spanish you are.

That is downright offensive the way you put it.

Gore is quoted as saying he "took the iniative in creating the internet" he never said I invented the internet. And its true he did introduce legistlation to expand the internet into schools and promoted the commercial internet.

Gore is a flat out liar. It was actually the Bush Sr adminstration whom expanded the internet. Gore did practically nothing during his Vice Presidency.

Why does every thread turn political GC?

But since it is in debate, the Internet can not be claimed by any presidential administrations(at least without lying). Its inital development started in the late 50s to early 70s. Initially started by the Department of Defense and the ARPA(Advanced REsearch Prodject Agency). ARPA deserves most of the credit for starting the Internet, as they created the first backbones located at the University of Los Angelas, University of Utah, and another University in california which I can not remember. That was done in the last 60s. In the early 70s, e-mail was created. No signs of the Reagan or Bush administration.

USENET was started around 1979, during the Carter administration(I beleive, I get the yeras mixed up sometime). Just when Reagan got into office, the National Science Foundation created a backbone themselves(after it had already been done), then the following year, DNS was created by the University of Wisconsin. I seriously doubt they did it by grants given to them by the Reagan administration, as he was notorious for reducing federal grants and pork barrels.

Later, corporation such as IBM and MCI created the T3, not any governmental agencies. At that same time the DoD changed to NSF's backbone, disbanded ARPANET.

The only slightly major contribution that happened during the Bush administration was the charter of the Internet Society. I doubt Bush had much to with that.

During Clinton's reign, the WWW was created. Also, from 1994 till around 1999, the usage of the Internet increase by nearly 500%.

Most of the features we use were not created by the Bush or Reagan administration. If any presidential administration should lay claim to it, it should be the Eisenhower administration. However, laying claim to it is about as ridiculous as Bush administration being responsible for the economic slowdown(Yes, I know it is picking back up again, that isn't the point, so don't make it one).

Most of the major features we use for the Net appeared to be done during the Clinton(along with growth), Carter, Nixon, and Eisenhower administrations. I will say, the groundwork of inital T1's did happen during the Reagan administration, but that is just a mere fraction of the contribution. So do you see how ludicrous it is to claim the Internet was started by only Republican presidents?

And that is just the American version of it. Europe had a big hand in creating the Internet as we know it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back