• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Traps of Linux...&open source software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackie2004

I received a link to an interesting book:

The Traps of Linux...

The author argues that open source infrastructure is much more expensive in long-term calculations. I think there is something true in this position. But my friend thinks the book is scandalous. What do you think about this...?

jackie

It's going to depend on the area of deployment. For corporate servers linux can be more costeffective then Windows, but for the corporate workfloor it's more expensive and less productive, mostly by the lack of familiarity and decent software to replace Windows alternatives.

I only just skimmed through the site, I noticed some good points but overall it seemed too agressively and confrontanially written.

I won't believe anyone who can't spell 'software'.

I don't need windows. Linux does everything I need for free.
Opensource is only more expensive when you need to train the people to use it.
If they need to be trained on it, they shouldn't be using it in the first place.

GregT very good point on the software thing.

But yeah for some windows is overkill. And in small environments linux is easy to use.

GregT said:
I don't need windows. Linux does everything I need for free.
One of the primary uses for a computer in a company is for administrative purposes, Openoffice/staroffice will suffice for writing up your grocery list but try to do anything more with it and it crashes or hangs frequently or it just isn't possible.
The same holds for most open source alternatives to commercial software. It's useable but doesn't compare.
Don't compare your desktop usage to what companies need and expect from software.

If they need to be trained on it, they shouldn't be using it in the first place.
Typical example of the "I use Linux so I'm l33t" crowd. :rolleyes2

Last edited:
I don't use OpenOffice/StarOffice.
Abiword has never crashed for me and is faster than any comercial software I've personally used.

Who said I was comparing ? :eek:
It isn't "using" Linux that makes you l33t, you must know it inside out to be l33t ;)

And the "If they need to be trained on it, they shouldn't be using it in the first place." applies to any os, not just Linux.

My thing is:

Windows is great for what it is used for

Linux is great for what it is used for.

I have 4 machines:
1 windows for browsing, e-mail (outlook), Word, and the rest of the suite
1 linux for software development. Java, C++, C, much easier on linux
1 BSD for WebServer
1 NT for Files and e-mail server

See I use each machine/os combination for what it was developed for.

Well, it's true that most people are familiar with Windows/Office. I'm sure the training cost would exceed the license cost. As for the "quality", I've never used anything other than MS Office, but I would think OpenOffice/StarOffice offer something very similar.

So, MS is the way to go for most environments. Most, not all.

For me the biggest thing is I don't think Linux office suites even come close to Microsofts. I mean I like linux, but it just doesn't match it.

I cant believe the writer hasn't notice that misspelling or atleast tried to correct it by now. I wonder if they did it on purpose? Can't think of a reason why though.

under the book:

"The Traps of Linux... and open source software" is published first in Bulgaria in 2002. This site contains its English version, printed only in Bulgaria and registered under ISBN: 954-91209-2-9.

software is written properly, thus I think its only a typo on the picture

true facts

I think this book is interesting, because it is based generally on true facts althougt the conclusions are not undeniable.

hahaha...

windows is crap.
linux is crap.

end of story.

it all depends on what texture you like your crap to be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back