• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The only time I get a call from my host...

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
The only time I get a call from my host is when I cancel. :classic2:

I just cancelled a VPS. It took them 90 seconds after I cancelled to call me (an international call from the US to Sweden). This to confirm that it was actually me wanting to cancel. It was a friendly call explaining for instance the cancellation date and he was not trying to change my mind. So, thumbs up for this host. But I already knew it was a good host. I didn't cancel because of poor service.

I've had some bad experiences too. One of the largest low budget hosts in the world required people who wanted to cancel to send a snailmail to their office in Denmark... After that experience I banned them from advertising here and told friends who asked me about them to not sign up.

What is your experience with cancelling a webhosting account? And if you're a webhost - how easy is it for your customers to cancel?

burstnet was the worse experience i ever had. they still send me updates on when server maintenance is going to happen across the network, and i closed my account there 2 years ago. lol.

I think the best way to do cancellations is the way one of the online games I play do it.

You log into your account management, press "Cancel Subscription", and it takes you to a page saying, Are you sure you want to cancel etc?

They then have a little form where you can fill in why you're leaving (if you wish to, I don't believe it's compulsory).

I think an optional area for feedback is a good way to do it - if a customer has a specific issue, they can state it clearly, and perhaps you could even give them the option of, "If we can resolve your issue, would you like us to contact you?" (Again, totally optional.)

What I can't stand is the awkward, long drawn out process that some companies insist on using. I'm already probably annoyed or dissatisfied with your service, making the cancellation take 10 minutes is probably NOT going to make me change my mind! Confirm I want to cancel (simply) and then let me go!!

Yes, I will consider them again for future projects. It's a good host. But even if it's a good host had they started to make it hard for me to cancel or acted weird I would never go back.

Yes, I will consider them again for future projects. It's a good host. But even if it's a good host had they started to make it hard for me to cancel or acted weird I would never go back.

That is obvious. I'm sure that's why they decided to call you.

And they do understand you.
Best luck Peo.

I think the best way to do cancellations is the way one of the online games I play do it.

You log into your account management, press "Cancel Subscription", and it takes you to a page saying, Are you sure you want to cancel etc?

They then have a little form where you can fill in why you're leaving (if you wish to, I don't believe it's compulsory).

I think an optional area for feedback is a good way to do it - if a customer has a specific issue, they can state it clearly, and perhaps you could even give them the option of, "If we can resolve your issue, would you like us to contact you?" (Again, totally optional.)

What I can't stand is the awkward, long drawn out process that some companies insist on using. I'm already probably annoyed or dissatisfied with your service, making the cancellation take 10 minutes is probably NOT going to make me change my mind! Confirm I want to cancel (simply) and then let me go!!

That sounds a lot like the WoW cancel page to me :p

biggest issue I had was with an australian take off of burst they are www.burstnetworks.com.au
They wanted to charge me over 190$ for being late on payment for a 7$ VPS, they would not accept my cancellation request because I left it to late and would not extent my time 2 day to give me enough time to pay the stupid 7$.

I was so mad, I was out! never ever go through them,

biggest issue I had was with an australian take off of burst they are www.burstnetworks.com.au
They wanted to charge me over 190$ for being late on payment for a 7$ VPS, they would not accept my cancellation request because I left it to late and would not extent my time 2 day to give me enough time to pay the stupid 7$.

I was so mad, I was out! never ever go through them,

Wow. $190 was a fine? Or you was out for 190/7~28 months? :eek:

I dun'no if I'd want an actual call on cancellation. It could work both ways. If it's a security protection, it might be nice so any twerp who gets lucky to bust the password can't hose you. Re: Call vs. Email, an email confirmation to cancel is an interesting variant. It might be interesting as a settable option. If I were running an important business, call. But my online activities are currently low importance, so an email may be less intrusive.

I know Peo posted this on the Paid side, but on the free side, I don't think I've cancelled more than about 2 of my 15 accounts. Why? Because the host croaked first!

That sounds a lot like the WoW cancel page to me :p

HAHA! It actually was theirs I was referring to. It's such a nuisance. Just cancel my damn account!

I subscribed to a mailing list a few months ago from a retail store. I decided I no longer wanted to receive their newsletter. I followed their unsubrscribe instructions.

A few days later, I received another newsletter. I unsubscribed again. After unsubscribing about 6 times, with no success, I went into my e-mail settings and permanently blocked their domain.

Back